1st Time New Pool Owner ( Long time hot tub owner ) …GREEEEN 🤮

Houston 🚀…. We have problem . I just did a CYA test because we vacuum to waste a few times last couple weeks . I filled the pool water up to the 7 ml line , then I topped with the cya regent to the 14 ml line. Shook it for 40 seconds … started pouring it in and by the time it was about to overflow , I could still make out the black dot. Could we have got rid of that much CYA ? Or did I mess this test up by what instructions I just gave. 😔

I filled the pool water up to the 7 ml line , then I topped with the cya regent to the 14 ml line. Shook it for 40 seconds … started pouring it in and by the time it was about to overflow , I could still make out the black dot. 😔

You have between 0 and 20 CYA.

You need to add stabilizer using the sock method.

Reactions: Leeboy20
All your vacuuming to waste and replacing with fill water diluted the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your cya is 20 - u haven’t fallen below min FC/CYA Levels
Dose with liquid chlorine now to the high fc target 🎯 level for 40ppm (so 7ppm or so) & get 20 ppm cya dissolving in a sock 🧦 asap. During the hot summer & after vacuuming to waste/ heavy rains etc. cya can get reduced so best to check it at least every couple weeks for sure.

@Leeboy20 I am SO proud of you!!!! Say what?? YEAH PROUD OF YOU!!! You tested, saw some levels off, and are working on fixing them!!! You did EVERYTHING right! :hug: :

Water going out due to cannon balls, vacuum to waste, ect. also means CYA is going out. For now lets have you test for you CYA about every other week IF you are doing some vacuuming to waste. If you are not vacuuming to waste then once a month will work.

Kim:kim:

I can appreciate that , but i really wanted to stay on top of things .
You are looking at what staying on top of things means! You measured, you reacted. Easy peasy. You know what to do. Easy peasy. If you took this sample to the pool store like most folks do, they’d sell you some CYA (correctly), they’d tell you your FC is purrrrrfect (not correct the moment your CYA goes up after you add the CYA they just sold you), and they’d tell you your TA is low (wrong) and sell you some magic TA-please-go-upper.

Or more likely, their results would be all wrong and they’d just sell you a bunch of other dumb stuff you don’t need.

You got this. Your pool is now TF! Detect a problem? It’s no trouble because you know EXACTLY what you have been putting in your pool, and you know exactly what you need to put in to get rid of the problem.

Whew 😰, thanks for bringing me back to earth 🌎 everyone . 😜 question ( from Carolyn🙄) ( kidding 🤭) , and I know it’s not the way the group has taught me , but She asked about using pucks 🏒 for a bit for CYA raising . 🤓… using the sock method , am I buying “ stabilizer “ Aquarius brand is close to me . How much in a sock and how long approx? Scared 😱 to over do it

Last edited:
Whew 😰, thanks for bringing me back to earth 🌎 everyone . 😜 question ( from Carolyn🙄) ( kidding 🤭) , and I know it’s not the way the group has taught me , but She asked about using pucks 🏒 for a bit for CYA raising . 🤓… don’t yell p,ease 🙉 haha
If you’re confident the CYA is low, pucks are fine but they add chlorine slowly. More than a few people have thought their CYA was low and dumped a bunch of stabilizer in and come to find out they overshot it. So pucks might be a decent way to creep up on the right amount. There’s no emergency need to add it.

If you’re confident the CYA is low, pucks are fine but they add chlorine slowly. More than a few people have thought their CYA was low and dumped a bunch of stabilizer in and come to find out they overshot it. So pucks might be a decent way to creep up on the right amount. There’s no emergency need to add it.
Hey Barry , it’s definitely low. The test yesterday overflowed the tube and the black dot was still 20% visible

What is my target for Calcium Hardness . Whatever I checked last night on pool math it said add 44lbs 🏋🏻‍♂️ or such of the product .
* What is your current ch?
Low ch isn’t a problem in vinyl pools unless u have a heater - in which case 150 would be fine. High ch is a problem in all pools. Generally u don’t need to add ch to vinyl pools.
As for cya - use what PoolMath says will add 20ppm.
Place it in a sock, tie a knot in it, hang it infront of a running return (not touching the liner) & squeeze the sock occasionally. Once it gets saturated it should squeeze pretty easily. Something like this👇
F5B21035-E736-4E8A-B3F0-F8FE3F5E5B06.jpeg5A82DFFB-5F53-4233-AD0F-E6C7B1328E23.jpeg
Trichlor pucks are 8oz. You can use poolmath effects of adding to see the effects of each puck

What is my target for Calcium Hardness . Whatever I checked last night on pool math it said add 44lbs 🏋🏻‍♂️ or such of the product .
With a vinyl liner pool you do not need much calcium.

I would ignore it.

Lets tweak your thinking a tiny bit. We don't say to not use hockey bucks at all. It is more only add what is NEEDED and to know what you are adding and what it adds to your pool. Pucks are okay for what you want to do. They are also good for if you go on a trip or such. I kept my CYA a bit low just so I could use them for weekend get aways.

Weigh out the cost of powder CYA and the tablets. I know both have gone up a bit as of late. I am not sure which one is most cost effective right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.