Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
First time closing my pool, and this is what I did.
First I read and reread Catanzaro's thread and “closing an in ground pool”, along with watching you tube videos.

I used my air compressor and small shop vac. I also used black rubber plugs for plugging every pipe.
To blow air into the pipes, I took a black plug, drilled a small hole into it for my air nozzle to fit snugly.

Water was shocked, and lowered to just above the return's, and ran my robot to clean.
Total time was about 2.5 hours, I did everything slowly, and blew out each line twice.
I was also doing by myself, and my pad is 70 feet from my pool.

I have 2 skimmers, main drain and three return's.
I also have inlet's (equalizer's) from my pool into each of the skimmers.

All of my plumbing is 1½.

I am some what lucky as I am changing out my pump and heater in the early spring, so I cut both of them out of my system, so accessing the suction and return piping was easy. Everything was done from my pad except my equalizers.

Skimmers
Blew air into equalizers, and plugged them inside pool, then used shop vac to get remaining water out. Filled with anti-freeze, and plugged.
Plugged 2nd skimmer and starting with skimmer nearest the pad, blew air, then shop vac out water. Plugged, then went and did same with 2nd skimmer.
Repeated process, plugged lines, and poured a gallon of anti-freeze into each skimmer pipe. Put a jug of anti-freeze half filled into skimmer and filled basket with remaining anti-freeze.

Main drain
Blew air into pipe, bubbles came out and then water had a swirl to it. Ran compressor for app 3 mins, and air locked. Slight hissing from pipe, valve not holding, so repeated process, and this time also plugged end of pipe after valve.

Returns
These were a pain as they were under water, and I was by myself.
Plugged two returns and blew water into pipe. After air was coming out I slightly loosened one of the other plugs so air could escape, installed plug and tightened first return. Repeated for 2nd return.
3rd return was trickier. After air was coming out I went to pad and loosened plug that was in the pipe in hopes that when I tightened last return plug back pressure would blow out the plug. It worked, so got lucky.
Pad is uphill from pool, so poured in anti-freeze as a safe guard.

Booster line and water fill line
blew in air and plugged at pool side

Left my DE filter full of water, and will be cleaning it out this weekend.

In blowing out my skimmers, noticed a couple of tiny leaks, at one of the adapters. Guessing when I put in new heater and pump, will redo all of the plumbing, but that will be another thread

Was not as bad as I thought it would be, and guessing next time it should not take more than an hour to do.

Thanks TFP and Catanzaro

Main drain
Blew air into pipe, bubbles came out and then water had a swirl to it. Ran compressor for app 3 mins, and air locked. Slight hissing from pipe, valve not holding, so repeated process, and this time also plugged end of pipe after valve.

Blazer:

Nice job. Everything looks good. Even my 3 Way Pentair Valve gave out this year, and I have the same situation. As a precautionary measure, I opened my valve and for now, the black plug has trapped the air. The other side, the skimmers is also closed towards the main drain. This should hold temporarily, the valve is being fixed this week.

Thanks, I am going to replace the valve soon, and get it ready for the new pump install.
I am still going to install a black plug behind the valve, after I airlock main valve again.
I might have went over board on using anti-freeze, but no harm done.
Next year I will lower water below the returns, it will make it easier to blow them out and plug them

Next year I will lower water below the returns, it will make it easier to blow them out and plug them

I will lay on the concrete with goggles on. It is very easy to see what I am doing and then I can get the plug real flush, tighten accordingly, etc. Under water is better as you can see if there are air leaks. It appears that plugs last at most 3-4 years. For the cost of new plugs, under $1.50, it may be worth just using for 2 seasons and discarding them or after a few turns, if they do not seal, removing them and grabbing a new plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.