1st test results : under shock

dswilli2

May 29, 2019
CT
So test strips remain well above the 10ppm last 5 days. Water getting clearer and mild green blue now.

When kit arrives, I want to immediately test chlorine and cya. Figured oh will remain high with shock (bleach)

Any recommendations on other tests? Want to post for everyone in 2 days when kit arrives

Run a full set of tests except for pH. pH is unreliable when FC is over 10 ppm.

Reactions: dswilli2
Thanks. I’m hoping I didn’t over do it with chlorine. Have a small above ground 5k. Water was pitch black and I added 6 bags of shock powder. Strips showed it at 10 and two days later was down to 2ppm. Very very dark green. Added a gallon of super shock liquid chlorine (over6%) recommended for for 10k pool. No change in green color ? Level of cya reading was unclear. Strips suck. Another day went by and still no change. Out of frustration I put in two gallons more of shock....overkill probably with no knowledge of this forum.

Results were that the pool began to clear up. A blind slam I guess. Like everyone says, chlorine works...I’m sure the algae is all dead and it’s time for filter to work but I am certain cya is out of wack as well as other things

Can’t wait for this kit! The T100 was all sold out at amazon so I got the other K2006 that was available in prime.

You might want to sit down for this one: At your CYA level your FC is not even at SLAM level. A SLAM at 120 CYA (not something we would ever recommend, but in theory) would require 48 ppm of FC.

With that sized pool the simplest solution would be to dump all but a foot of it and refill. This will bring your CYA down to more manageable levels and simplify the rest of the equation.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Trying to convince my wife to drain. We have well so it’s just electric cost and wear on well pump... or I can get the water delivered for $275. May just do that. Takes longer to drain than fill by delivering it. It’s small so not a big deal in my view. And still early. Spent $30 on chlorine and shock so far so no biggie

2 years of hockey puck tabs for chlorine probably did this with only 5k gal.

Just read that test for cya needs to be with done back to full sun so I’m going to retest tomorrow. Folks said it’s hard to get right. FC is 35 and pool was black last week with no added chlorine in 7 days and kept getting better so I’m hoping I did test wrong and it’s a lower cya.

I used the pool calculator and realized that 3 gal of 12.6% bleach raised it by 75ppm and before that I added 6 bags shock powder. Assuming 80 ppm on sat so in 7 days it went down by 1/2. Lots of clouds and rain and 1 day of sun

With CYA at or over 100, you need to do a diluted CYA test to get an accurate reading. It may be way over 100. Use 50% pool water and 50% tap water to do the test with. Then double your result to get your CYA level.

Ah, yes. I read that somewhere. Will do.
Should I test the tap water first (well water)

May be stupid question but I don’t know if cya exists naturally in well water. Just want to be fully accurate

Ah, yes. I read that somewhere. Will do.
Should I test the tap water first (well water)

May be stupid question but I don’t know if cya exists naturally in well water. Just want to be fully accurate
It doesn’t. Well/tap water will have 0 cya. You don’t need to test.

Thanks. Just realized that it was trichlor in that shock.

New CYA in sun was as follows

Diluted 50/50: was 45x2 for 90
Full pool water: was just at 100 perhaps a smidgen under after multiple times pouring it back in and re testing so we’ll call it 100

Today’s water looks great and I can see the bottom with the sun for the first time but still cloudy.
16 hours from last test

FC is now 28
CC is .5
TA is 70
CH is 100

Calculator says slam will need 56 oz or 1 qt 3 cups to reach slam level of 39. I have 12.6% sodium hypochlorite

Checking here before I add

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.