1st Test from tap water

Mar 28, 2017
SC
Hey y'all! Thanks for everything everyone's posted to help out us new owners! I hope I'm only about a week away from putting up our pool. Anyway, I got my TF-100 test kit and did a test on my tap water, it's county water. I'm posting my results in case anyone can give me an idea of what chemicals I'll need to have on hand. I'll have a SWG.

FC- .5
pH- 8.2
TA- 50
CH- 75

Thanks, Nancy MiniPink.jpeg

Reactions: splashpad
Since you're going with a a salt system, you know you'll need salt. Use the PoolMath APP to help you determine how much to get. New water has no stabilizer (CYA) so add that as well. SWGs operate best with a CYA of at least 70. You can expect to need some muriatic acid to control the pH from exceeding 7.8. Your TA is about as low as we would want. You might keep a regular 4-lb box box of baking soda handy just in case it dips lower. And since you can't run the SWG for at least 24 hrs while the salt is dissolving, have a little liquid chlorine (regular bleach) to add to the water on day one. Increase the FC to about 3 ppm. On day 2, crank-up the SWG and keep the FC balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Supplement with chlorine as needed until you get the SWG output and pump run time dialed in. That's about it for now. Once full, let the water mix for about 30 min to an hour before taking your first pool sample, then post back so we can help.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Great job!

Chlorine, CYA, and salt.

After that, you might need some acid eventually. TA is on the low end but you do not want to raise TA and lower pH. That is a merry go round.

Hey y'all! Thanks for everything everyone's posted to help out us new owners! I hope I'm only about a week away from putting up our pool. Anyway, I got my TF-100 test kit and did a test on my tap water, it's county water. I'm posting my results in case anyone can give me an idea of what chemicals I'll need to have on hand. I'll have a SWG.

FC- .5
pH- 8.2
TA- 50
CH- 75

Thanks, Nancy View attachment 145862
Welcome!! The faucet is aerated, so if you let the water sit in a glass for a few hours, I almost bet the PH would come down (ours does anyway)

Stock up on liquid chlorine, you can start with a few stabilized pucks for CYA if you can't find stabilizer, but of course we prefer stabilzier on it's own (so it's added once and done) Enjoy that clear pool this season!!

Thanks everyone for helping out, I really appreciate the advice! @splashpad I left the water out for about 5 more hours and checked the ph again and now it's 7.8. So it did come down a little.

Nancy
Small2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.