1st results!

Looks good.
If you can, in the morning, check FC/CC again and adjust it to the top end of range for your target CYA level. (anywhere below the SLAM level)
This is so it will last through the heat of the day and will still be swim-able (that is why we are here!).

Yes, algae will consume chlorine pretty rapidly. Also, keep an eye on your filter pressure. Dead algae can clog up the filter. Backwash after pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

ok tested this morning TC was 3.5 so I did the pool math and added enough to get it to 6. Probably should have taken it up to 7? PH was the same at 7.7.

Just retested and had ZERO FC, PH came down to 7.5. So I am adding about a gallon and a half daily...is that normal?

Ok this may be a silly question but...is it safe to get in and clean while you are trying to balance? I agree we need to clean it but didn't know if we could get in. We've only been skimming the top and getting what we can on the bottom with the skimmer. We have not got in to vacuum it yet...

Any level of FC below SLAM level and it is safe to swim.
Above this, people with sensitive skin may get skin irritation and swimsuits will likely fade more quickly with extended contact.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bryan, are you testing your CC as well?
The Combined Chloramines lets you know if you have anything organic consuming your FC.
Ideally it is zero but acceptable range is 0-0.5

It may be sampling method that is skewing your results.
When does your pool circulate?
If it is already circulating when you test in the morning, but has been static in the afternoon, you could get low afternoon readings and accurate morning ones.

When a pool has been undisturbed during sunny hours, the surface has less FC than the depths.
That is why it is suggested to sample from below elbow depth, it helps normalize this variability.
I always sample after I have had my swim jets running for 5 mins to turn the pool.

What is your method?

Bryan, I use a 1/2" PVC pipe about 2 ft long to get my water sample to test. With the pump running, I collect my water sample in an area behind the return. We installed our pool last year and did not have a deck til this year so following advice here about getting water samples from down in the water involved climbing a ladder and leaning over in it because its almost as tall as I am on the sides. The pipe helps tremendously and I feel I get an accurate sample this way. Hope this helps.

Thanks Layla, good to know. I've been pulling samples directly across the jet across the pool. I'll start pulling before the skimmer 2 feet now.

Pooldv you are correct, I forgot to update my signature. I've been inputting 25k in poolmath...the depth is abt 45-46"...I'll re-measure this evening...

Got home from work and tested, here's the results:

FC 0.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 100
CYA sock still in
Pool is clear...

If my CC is zero, why is my FC being consumed...time to SLAM?? If should I pull the sock, then retest CYA to get the FC Shock level? I'd hate to waste the stabilizer...I've probably bought over 10 gallons of bleach this week, 4 boxes of baking soda, 1 box of borax, one tube of stailizer, this is getting expensive...now more bleach for a SLAM...very frustrating!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.