1st Pool, need help with heater install/pump/controller

amcvay1979

Apr 28, 2020
Iowa
Hello all, I installed a 27 foot round pool last year, late 3rd quarter so we didn't get to use it much before the temps in Iowa fell too cold to use it daily. We planned to install a heat pump but put it off until Spring of 2020....so here we are and I'm ready to go.

I had a 100 amp breaker installed by the pool for everything electric. I understand how to plumb the heater, etc. but my pool is a 27 foot round Optimum pool, so it's a rigid foam walled pool, semi-inground. 1 skimmer, 1 pump outlet. My current pump is a 1.5 horse 1 speed Hayward pump. I'm going to be adding a salt cell this summer, but heat pump goes first. I'm looking at a Raypak 140k BTU unit. My problem is, will this heater work with a single speed pump? I assume I'd have to run it 24/7 or figure out a way to kick the pump on when the heater needs to run so I'm wondering if I need a pool controller in addition to the heat pump? Or...should I just buy a 2 speed pump, run it on low for 14 hours per day and high the other 10 or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

A HP will work fine with your SS pump. It's a cost benefit analysis that depends on your electrical rates and trash a perfectly good pump and get a 2 speed pump. Or run the SS pump until it dies and then get a 2 speed or VS pump.

You can install the HP now and change the pump sometime in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.