1998 Pool renovation underway (1/23/2020 Dallas)

I love that you are putting in the channel drain! Those look so nice! Is it the one you can fill in the top with the plaster?

They are moving fast! SWEET!

Kim:kim:
I know there is a version of this channel drain with a "pebble top" and another for "plaster top"...I think it is a hard top that is molded to resemble pebble.

And we are surprised how quickly everything is moving along.

Day 5 (Jan. 28, 2020)
Completed new fittings for popups
Installed leaf vac at equipment
Closed-off in-deck leaf vac (having passed pressure test)
Start spillway limestone
Start base for spa veneer
...but rain this morning and late afternoon limited progress. Clear weather for day 6.

2019012803-leafvac.jpg

2019012801-spatop.jpg

2019012802-spaside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kimmielea
Day 6 (Jan. 29, 2020)
Spa is complete...spillway, veneer, cap. There is a small amount of grout work to do on the cap (top). They worked until an hour after sunset, so a photo of the result will have to wait until tomorrow. Here's some of the work during the day:

Beginning of the day...
2019012901.jpg
Progress during the day...
2019012902.jpg
2019012903.jpg
2019012904.jpg
The photo above was at 2:30. They worked until 6:30.
Day 7 will include more plumbing (replace 6 port actuator) and finish grout work on top of spa.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimmielea
My build is in progress and my spa is just about as close to the equipment as yours. I was going to build a fence around it too, how bad is the noise?
With a variable speed pump running at a higher RPM, the sound is not a distraction. The equipment fence cuts a majority of the noise towards the spa. We almost never use the blower. In fact, it may be 20 years since we last used it, so I cannot offer an opinion on it. (FYI... I had the equipment fence built so I can remove about a six foot width section of it near the tall fence. It is not possible to see where this section is from the front. This removeable portion gives access to the heater when it needs to be replaced. Otherwise, it would take some creative work moving the heater.)

Reactions: FlapjackMcCoy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A pebble top for a channel drain (or round) is designed to have pebble material applied into it. So the cover is actually pebble at that point, with only the rim of the cover visible.

Reactions: JRB100
Day 7 (Jan. 30, 2020)
Grout to top of spa
Sawed gap between coping and deck to consistent width in preparation for mastic
Swept and rinsed deck & driveway
Cleared remaining debris from stone work
Removed tools

Next should be plumbing: replacing older model 6-port actuator with latest model.

No photos today.

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis and kimkats
Two days off
Day 8 (Feb. 2, 2020, Super Bowl Sunday)
Plumbers work the afternoon and another two hours or so after sunset with head lamps:
-Removed & replaced actuator with latest model
-Additional work on popup fittings

1580760304240.jpeg

1580760321312.jpeg

I am particularly pleased with the work done on the original in-deck leaf vac. The plumber plumbed a line inside the canister connecting the inlet directly to the outlet.

This in-deck leaf vac (no longer manufactured) has a broken guide which holds the lid in place. About a year ago, I glued two pieces of a part (stop ring) to give the guide enough support to keep the lid in place. I felt this was a very temporary solution and hoped it would last long enough for me to find a long-term solution.

The manufacturer recommended closing-off the leaf vac by removing the internal bag and gluing the lid in place. I did not take that as a serious solution. (I had a lid crack several years ago.) I was concerned (but prepared) to have deck cut and the leaf vac removed completely. I was really glad to see (along with my bank account) this was not necessary.

2019012801-leafvacindeck.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.