Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: JUST chlorine tabs?

1. Back To Top    #1

JUST chlorine tabs?

Do the pool stores sell chlorine in tab or briquet form that is JUST chlorine only----absolutely no other CYA, calcium or anything or chemical added that can throw your pool chemistry off?
    If so, is there a name or product brand I should ask for. I'm gonna hate dealing with the carrying and storing of common houselhold bleach in liquid form. If they don't sell just pure chlorine in these forms, why not?

Thanks in advance,
    Woodyp
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: JUST chlorine tabs?

No they don't. Chlorine is much too unstable to be handled in pure form. That instability is why it does such a good job of sanitation.

The most convenient way to chlorinate is with a salt water chlorine generator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You might think about getting a liquidator to add to your pool. You can add liquid chlorine in bulk, and meter it into your pool to maintain the FC level.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a solid form of chlorine that is about 6 times as concentrated (by weight) as bleach and about 3 times as concentrated as 12.5% chlorinating liquid. It's called lithium hypochlorite, but unfortunately it's at least 5 times as expensive as bleach or chlorinating liquid. It also appears to be only available in powder/granular and not in slow-dissolving tablets.

The chemistry of chlorine is such that there is no inexpensive slow-dissolving form that does not have some sort of by-product -- increasing CYA with Trichlor or increasing CH with Cal-Hypo.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Of the two forms of chlorine tabs you listed, the trichlor which increases CYA or Cal-Hypo which increases CH, which is the lesser of the two evils and the easiest to correct in maintaining your water balance?

Woodyp
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

That depends on where you live. In most places cal-hypo is better because the amount of CH added is a much lower percentage of the acceptable CH level. However, cal-hypo dissolves relatively quickly and is more expensive than trichlor. In arid areas with high CH fill water, trichlor would probably be better.

Overall, bleach or liquid chlorine are both going to be easier to use than either trichlor or cal-hypo in almost all cases, and a SWG is easier than anything else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Could/would you use a mix of TriChlor and liquid chlorine/bleach?
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you could use a combination of trichlor and liquid chlorine/bleach, but I don't recommend it. Trichlor is constantly raising the CYA level. While the CYA level will drift down very slowly over the course of a season, and thus trichlor could be used to maintain a constant CYA level, that would be so little trichlor as to be almost irrelevant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

You mentioned a liquidator, I'm searching online for one, but haven't found one. What should I look for? Do you mean a SWG? (An SWG is a little pricey for me right now.)

10. Back To Top    #10

Use the "google search" feature in the bottom left corner for liquidator. Its an automated way to dispense bleach or liquid chlorine daily.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

So, I searched for 'pool liquidator' and 'liquid chlorine dispenser', with few results. Looks like most folks suggest SWGs. Guess I'll just have to do my best w/ liquid chlorine on my own for now.

12. Back To Top    #12

Doing a Search for "Liquidator" in the topic titles gives this list where some threads are quite extensive such as this one and this one. The Liquidator is not for everyone and there is a clear upgrade to the tubing that makes things much better as described in the second link.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the liquidator and it works great after the 3/8" tubing upgrade. I don't know why Hasa doesn't mfg it that way.

If you want more info post back or PM me and I'll tell you what I know, good and bad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit