1963 pool resurection

It's sad is what it is.
I remember in the thread that photo came from, someone made the comment, " wow!" And the guy replied " thanks" then the first guy said, " it wasn't a compliment. Just a statement"
Funny thing is I showed it to my wife last night and told her, we don't want to end up like this.

Ok. I talked to him about it and decided to let him do his thing with the returns. I'm still asking for separate runs for skimmer and main drains though so I can drain the pool through the pump. He explained to me about the two holes in the skimmer and float valve for that purpose but I told him I'd rather not trust a piece of plastic to do that for me.
See how it goes from here.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

My MDs and skimmer are tied together and the float-diverter works fine. I can drain my pool through the combination and, when the water drops below the weir door line, the float drops and the full pull of the pump is diverted to the main drains. I've done it many times and I have never lost prime on my pump. When I pull the float-diverter off, I can get 100% pull on my vacuum hose by simply connecting the hose to the back opening.

I admit if I did my build again, I would have them separate too, but they work just fine in series. Sure, it takes a bit of work if I wanted 100% pull on my MDs but I have not personally run into a situation where that was absolutely necessary.

From a swimming safety perspective, you don't want 100% pull on your MDs to avoid suction entrapment. So having them plumbed separately allows you to potentially create a dangerous situation (skimmer OFF, MDs ON). I'm not saying anyone would knowingly do that, I'm just saying the potential now exists whereas it is significantly lessened by tying the skimmer and MDs in series and using a float-diverter.

Just stuff to always think about. Either option is fine since those of us on this site are trying to do the best we can with our pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one line for my split MD and a line for each skimmer. All have their own ball valve. I was worried about the potential for entrapment because I experienced that when I was young. I turned the skimmers off, put my goggles on, practically laid on one main drain, and I still couldn't tell the other one was doing a thing. Maybe the type of cover makes that much difference. Couldn't even see dirt on the bottom getting pulled in.

With a split main drain, there is virtually no chance of entrapment either way unless you have two people lie on each drain.

here are pics of todays work.
spa plumbing with jets at different heights

drainage holes boxed in with main drains

this is their solution to separate pipes for skimmer and main drains. skimmer then kicks up to a 2 1/2" pipe back to pad for some reason. maybe they thought it would help keep main drain suction from overpowering?

todays work.
home runs to pad

this is the first drop off point for #1 of 3 returns. it goes around the spa from here to next (#2 of 3) return. just before this it tees from the pad and goes to #3 of 3 returns.

this is where the return drops down from 2" to 1 1/2"

return #3 of 3 returns.

plumber says hes done. I don't see any pipes for drain or auto fill. maybe they come in later?

Where's the auto fill coming from?

When my pool was built the plumber had to dig a really, REALLY long trench (under some brick walls too!) to get gas and the auto fill line from the services near the front of the house.

If you have auto fill on the plans, then the plumbers the one who does it.....

plans is a funny word. we have no real "plans" I don't really care if I have an auto fill or not, its just something that he mentioned along with an overflow. neither of which I see...
I did however ask him to valve in a pipe to a drain that goes out to the gutter and piping for future solar which I also don't see.
I am running the electrical feed to the equipment pad along with a low voltage conduit and a waterline for a hose bib and auto fill if that gets put in too.
pb just called, he's looking to get inspection on what is here before finishing the rest. not sure why but I guess he has his reasons. he says it will all get put in, don't worry.
we'll see how it goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In California where we don't get much rain and evaporation is very high, it is really nice to have an autofill. Overflow isn't really important but I would put an autofill as important.

Sometimes PBs like to get their rebar/plumbing inspections done with provisional inspection so they can get gunite done. Then the rest of the plumbing can be done and approved with a final inspection.

As long as there's some PVC in place for an auto fill, the rest of the run from a water line to the auto fill can be done later.

Is there a black pot with some holes in it buried somewhere near the pool? That would be the auto fill pot.

No PVC ran for either auto fill or overflow. No PVC ran for solar either at this point.
I am going to bring a 3/4" line in myself to the pad. The rest is up to him.
Funny thing is he placed more importance on overflow than auto fill.
He also has no pipe for the drain yet although I think that can be done later. Not too much later though.

My auto fill is 3/4" PVC line that runs through the gunite and looks like a return. It's hooked up to a black plastic pot that has a plastic cap on it that looks just like a skimmer cover.

Perhaps there are other ways to do an auto fill that I'm just not familiar with. Let us know what your PBs solution is, I'm interested.

No PVC ran for either auto fill or overflow. No PVC ran for solar either at this point.
I am going to bring a 3/4" line in myself to the pad. The rest is up to him.
Funny thing is he placed more importance on overflow than auto fill.
He also has no pipe for the drain yet although I think that can be done later. Not too much later though.
The autofill bucket goes next to the pool, not the pad and it needs to connect to the water source which may not be next to the pad.

Mark I am bringing the water source to the pad myself. A 3/4" line from the house for auto fill, hose bib and possible sprinkler line if I decide to put cutouts in the deck for any plants. Thinking about maybe banana or bird of paradise. Any suggestions on plant type? It will be a salt water pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.