1963 pool resurection

Little white lies. I never call him on them. Just know that he has no problem telling me what he thinks I want to hear. He tells me all the time that he is only working on my pool and 1 other, then he tells me how he has to go work on a pool in an entirely different location. He forgets. I don't.
I do however still believe that all will be well in the end.
Kim, It is likely that I will move the forms myself.
Beaded, I think the intelliph was $440 total on my doorstep. From sunplay.com

I think I'd be moving the forms myself too. Just make sure you get them level. All the little annoyances really add up don't they. Its almost like they want you to have a nervous breakdown. So you can recuperate by your pool, just grateful its there and holding water and not notice anything that might be wrong with it.

Just an off the wall question here. I noticed the PB left little individual 1" tiles all over the surface of the pool from installation. Are you picking those up to keep? I ask because years down the road if some tiles come lose or kids pick them off, they could come in handy as replacements. They do discontinue tile from time to time. Keeping some of these remnants might make matching the tiles easier down the road.

I see a few crooked tiles and like you, they would drive me crazy. But, it looks looks fantastic overall. I would be prone to figure out the proper steps to remove them and replace them correctly and do it myself after the PB was long gone. A nice weekend project maybe as long as its not in a place that is always wet like the spillway. I am really enjoying your build. Other than the PB issues it sounds like it might be fun for you too. I know the kids usually like to watch the progress as well.

Believe it or not, I'm not really that bothered by things that are not quite right. What bothers me more is the pb asking me to look at his work and tell him if there is anything I don't like or want changed. If you are going to do that, one would think you would either have nothing to hide or not be upset by my answer. I'm not looking for perfection so stop telling me it is. Maybe some things are better left unsaid.
About the tiles, there are a few sheets left over and pb says he always likes to leave a few extra for down the road. We'll see if he does.
Now I have to lay out the fence posts for the pool enclosure before the pour. I guess I will be building it too since he informed me last night that they don't build fences. I half thought they would since it was on his drawing. Oh well. Almost done. Pour concrete on Monday.

Should I have the pool guy pour concrete around piping coming out of the ground at pad or ask to pour around it in case I need to access? It will be under concrete the rest of the way to the pool anyway. Now is the time at ask before they pour the deck. He said he could it either way but 98% of the time just pour all in concrete with no issues.

I think I would want the area around where the pipes come up open so that I could at least get down to the elbow underground without having to tear up concrete. I did have to excavate a couple pipes and re plumb a connection a couple years ago and it would have been a real PITA if it had been under concrete.

I would leave it exposed. Maybe fill in with white rock or river rock over some black barrier material? Pouring around it will make it more rigid and more likely to break if someone were to lean or fall on it or hit it with something by mistake. I agree with what you said about him asking you if you like something or want a change and then complaining. That would get on my nerves. If you don't want to know, don't ask. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, getting ready to pour deck on Monday. There is still no drain pipe installed. I asked the pb about it and he now says he doesn't know.
I had asked early on in the plumbing layout for a drain pipe to the street from the pump so I could later have the ability to shut off skimmer pipe and empty the pool using the pump through the main drains.
He says he doesn't understand how it should go as in his 38 years building pools he has never done this before.
So, I guess I will just stub a 2" pipe up in the equipment pad (hopefully) near the pump. Then I guess put in a valve there to divert water away from the filter and out to street.
Sound about right?
It would just be a stub out away from the pad as I will be picking up the remainder of the pipe work later since the floor drain he originally thought he was going to use does not have the elevation drop needed. I will also have to pick up his overflow pipe as well for the same reason.
If I was the builder I'm pretty sure I would have checked that elevation a long time ago before making a decision to use it.
Doesn't anyone think ahead anymore? It needs to drop 5 3/4" for proper drainage. I guess I have my work cut out for me long after he is gone.
Now I'm off to set the fence posts for the equipment enclosure since he doesn't do that either. Fun, fun, fun around here. It's only supposed to hit 102 degrees today.:p

Woh slow down a bit here ----

Long Beach as far as I can tell requires you to neutralize your pool water before discharging into the storm drains (which is what you do when you discharge to the street) Your PB gave you the blank look because many cities prohibit discharge of pool water to storm drains. That is why he hasn't done it.

You just need to understand that discharging anything to the storm drain other than rainwater is either illegal or frowned upon in California.

Well, we had that conversation. He said it does need to go the storm drain and in the event that you don't have one readily accessible you can discharge into the gutter.
The only difference here is really whether I do it with a hose and a separate pump or plumb it in to utilize my filter pump and main drains.
I do however see your point.

Just looked it up. Here it is.
Pool Drainage. In accordance with the Long Beach Water Department’s requirements and the LBMC Chapter 18.61 NPDES and SUSMP regulations, drainage to the sanitary sewer or storm drain system shall be as follows:
a. Periodic Draining of Swimming Pool. Dechlorinated swimming pool water from periodic draining are allowed to discharged into the storm drain system per LBMC Section 18.61.030.A Item 14.
Exception: Rising pool water due to rain may be discharged to the sewer system to lower the water level without obtaining approval from the Water Department. If the pool water must be drained completely for any reason, it should be dechlorinated and discharged into the storm drain system.
b. Deck Drainage. Uncontaminated water on decks built around the swimming pools or spas shall not drain into the sanitary sewer system and should be conducted to the storm drain system via non-erosive device.
c. Other Types of Drainage. All other swimming pool, spa or filter backwash discharges, including open and unenclosed shower or washing area adjacent to the pool for general rinsing, shall be discharged into the sanitary sewer system.
Question, how do you dechlorinate the water?
Should I instead be plumbing it to the wasteline?

So gwegan was correct. It has to be neutralized. Meaning dechlorinated. Easily done if you have time, just stop chlorination. It's the same way here. We have to have ours plumbed to our sewer line, no storm drains or runoff onto land allowed at all.

Thanks for the heads up everybody. I think I'm gonna try and shoot for the sewer line then.
Do you have yours plumbed like that glock?
Big thanks to gwegan again. Saved me a big mistake and since I'm going to hit the sewer line I think I'll take the opportunity to throw in a drain line for an outdoor shower my wife wanted anyway. We had abandon the idea because of drainage but hey you only get one chance to throw in anything you might ever want right?

I feel for all you folks with like regulations and stuff. Down here in the nether regions of the US, my builder showed me an outside shower he'd done and was all proud of. The drain ran under a pathway to some emitters that watered a flower bed....All complies with local ordinance.

So when you wonder what is wrong with folks from Louisiana, its all in the water...

dumbcluck:

To prevent embarrassment I will not reprint the list of requests I made of my pool builder that were either responded to with a blank stare or look of something like "you are really crazy." On a couple of things I got my crazy idea.

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, especially when it comes to pools. As you see on here, the California way is not the only way. California building departments have very hard mindsets on how pools MUST be built. Pool builders like to do things they way they always do (often even when the engineering drawings or plans say something different). So when an owner starts questioning the industry folks generally don't want to change or do it different.

So there are rules here that essentially prohibit what you want to do -- keep thinking outside the box and hopefully have fun building (no resurrecting) your pool. Its entertaining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.