19 lbs. or 296 oz. of Calcium Chloride ?

Sep 7, 2018
Kansas
My numbers are this today F.C. 6 PH 8.2 (maybe higher, but that's as high as the scale goes) TA 130 CH 250 CYA 70
Pool water is crystal clear but the High PH, High TA and Low CH bother me. What should I do first? Muriatic acid or Calcium Chloride? Which should I do 296 oz. (is this a liquid?) or 19 lbs. (assuming a powder). What is the best Calcium Chloride (not the cheapest) I want this level to raise quickly. I use the 31.45% HCL ( Muriatic Acid ) from Ace Hardware. I use Pro-Clor Liquid Pool Shock (12.5%) everyday, adding about a half gal. a day to sustain FC level. CYA has never dipped below 60 since I've had the pool and stays right around 70 most of the time. Calcium Chloride first, wait a day and adjust the PH? I don't want to Yo-Yo as I have seen in other posts on here. Thanks in advance for your input.

Lower the pH. Target 7.6. Lower it to that each time it reaches 8.

CH might be good to raise it to 350 since I suspect you get rain and thus do not add much fill water? What is the CH of your fill water? Do not take the CH all the way to 450, no real need for that unless your CH falls quickly due to large rain overflow.

Add the calcium in small batches over several days. Do not add all at once.

Thank you so much for responding, you always seem to be the first to do so. I am very grateful. So Muriatic acid first. Should I wait a day to start the CH problem? And what is the best Calcium Chloride to use? We don't have ice melt here in the summer, so I will go to the pool store, something like this?

Leslie's - Hardness Plus for Calcium Hardness, 15 lbs.​

Thanks again for all your help.

Might check Puri-Tech brand off Amazon. Might be cheaper than Leslies.

It is best to do calcium by itself when you do it (exc chlorine). So adjust pH one day and then over the next few days raise the CH.

Would this work, from Home Depot Bare Ground calcium chloride pellets
It could. The wild card is impurities. If just a bit of sodium or magnesium chloride, no big deal. But many are a significant percentage those other salts and that can create issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the first day I added the acid. The next day my PH was great. Later I added the Calcium, Hardness Plus, and it got better, not great but better. Today my PH is through the roof. Why? Should I add more acid wait a day again and add more hardness or finish with adding more hardness today and give it a day, then add more acid? I hate the chemical yo-yo

You can add Muriatic acid now and test 30 minutes later to see if it is at 7.2 then add calcium.. no need to wait a day, 30 to 60 minutes with the pump on is perfect :)

With your elevated TA your pH will rise pretty quick. The calcium gives it a boost. Just adjust pH back down as cowboycasey said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.