18x36 Inground pool build in Maryland

Yellow staining is usually from metals.

It would be helpful to know what was added to the water - salt? algaecide?

Put some crushed Vitamin C in a sock and rub it on the area.

Nothing has been added to the water except liquid chlorine, baking soda, CYA powder, acid and a few tabs in the chlorinator. This is a brand new pool filled a month ago. I’m not sure what the builder put in it during the initial startup though.

Assume a dose of ascorbic acid will clear up the stains? How do I go about making sure they stay out?

You need to identify the source of your iron to know how to keep it out of your pool.

Once the iron is in the pool water you can drain the pool and refill with iron free water, use sequestrants to try and keep the iron in suspension, or try and filter the iron out with polyfill in the skimmer or a homemade filter.

You need to identify the source of your iron to know how to keep it out of your pool.

Once the iron is in the pool water you can drain the pool and refill with iron free water, use sequestrants to try and keep the iron in suspension, or try and filter the iron out with polyfill in the skimmer or a homemade filter.

The source had to be the fill water, which we paid a decent amount of money for, so that’s annoying. Since the pool is brand new and nothing but the above has been added I don’t see where else it could be from.

Last edited:

Just got out of the pool. It looks like one of the screws on the returns has a screw that’s rusted. I assume they used the wrong kind when installing the return caps. Could that be the source?

Just got out of the pool. It looks like one of the screws on the returns has a screw that’s rusted. I assume they used the wrong kind when installing the return caps. Could that be the source?

How many gallons in your pool?

I doubt one screw rusting would create enough iron to stain the pool.

It would be helpful to us for you to create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

They installed regular screws because they always loose the correct stainless ones. I know from experience....

Have them change them out with the correct stainless. Thats not the source.

Reactions: Mr47930

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They installed regular screws because they always loose the correct stainless ones. I know from experience....

Have them change them out with the correct stainless. Thats not the source.
They’re supposed to be coming sometime this week to look at the stains (again). We let them know about the screw so hopefully they bring the right one. I have some ascorbic acid on hand but don’t want to dump any in until I hear back from the builder.

Well out of the blue the coping guy showed up to replace a few of the stones. Now my pool water is an absolute disaster, but I suppose it’s a step in the right direction. Another guys is supposed to be coming by on Wednesday to get rid of the stains, not sure what product he plans on using. We did have a few people over this past weekend who have kids and they all had a blast so we’re getting there, just slowly.

A guy from the builder did show up to “burn” the stains off from around all the returns. He actually had an oxygen pump with a regulator and put on a weight belt to keep him under. He applied acid directly to the stained areas and it definitely seems to have worked. When it’s super sunny you can’t really see anything, but with polarized sunglasses you can make out a hint of color difference. They’ve also agreed, in writing, to drain the pool at the end of the season and apply white plaster over all of the tile grout lines that they missed. At this point we’re just ready to enjoy the pool, unfortunately it’s an unseasonably 67° here in the middle of June.

A guy from the builder did show up to “burn” the stains off from around all the returns. He actually had an oxygen pump with a regulator and put on a weight belt to keep him under. He applied acid directly to the stained areas and it definitely seems to have worked. When it’s super sunny you can’t really see anything, but with polarized sunglasses you can make out a hint of color difference. They’ve also agreed, in writing, to drain the pool at the end of the season and apply white plaster over all of the tile grout lines that they missed. At this point we’re just ready to enjoy the pool, unfortunately it’s an unseasonably 67° here in the middle of June.
Time to enjoy! Don’t worry, it’ll be hot soon enough!

Pavilion is supposed to start construction in 2 weeks! I think I’m more excited about that than the pool. Watching some football outside this fall with some bourbon and cigars by the fire, sounds like heaven to me.

Big thanks to the community here, I’ve been able to keep my water sparkling with the TFP methods and test kit. Super simple and CHEAP with 5 minutes of daily care.

Pavilion is supposed to start construction in 2 weeks! I think I’m more excited about that than the pool. Watching some football outside this fall with some bourbon and cigars by the fire, sounds like heaven to me.

Big thanks to the community here, I’ve been able to keep my water sparkling with the TFP methods and test kit. Super simple and CHEAP with 5 minutes of daily care.
were in early planning stages but a 20x30 pool house (approximately 14x30 covered/open) is the plan. One can never have enough smoking spots lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.