18x36 Inground pool build in Maryland

Only 1 light? No diving board?
Just the 1 light. The quote for low voltage on the tanning ledge was $3k. My builder was even shocked at that price. No diving board either, 36 ft was about as far as we could go, my property ends at that wood line and we have a buffer that can’t be built on too. Only 7’ deep. Kids will still jump off and do whatever they want though.

Just the 1 light. The quote for low voltage on the tanning ledge was $3k. My builder was even shocked at that price. No diving board either, 36 ft was about as far as we could go, my property ends at that wood line and we have a buffer that can’t be built on too. Only 7’ deep. Kids will still jump off and do whatever they want though.
And a lot safer. I've see insurance premiums sore just because of diving boards vs not having one.

We’re still waiting on our insurance guy to get back to us on our policy and how much it’ll cost. Do most just have an umbrella policy?

Geico does not charge us any more. Same as before the pool they said they do not rate pools higher. I do have a $500k umbrella along with my regular policy though.

The homeowners insurance rate did go up a bit when adding a pool.

Was asked if pool was destroyed how much would it cost to replace it and I just said what it cost.

We added to homeowners some type of liability insurance years ago but I’m not sure what it is called. The price was very reasonable.

Edit: Appears I added umbrella a few years ago and didn’t realize what it was.

For pool I believe the rep mentioned if under 50k to replace it would not affect rates.

Last edited:
I think it was Tri-State that shot mine.

Yours does look very nice. The long seating on the left side is pretty cool. I'm thinking thats where you'll be sitting with a drink in your hand. lol

I have State Farm insurance and my rate did not change at all and I have a diving board.

Reactions: Mr47930
E278D773-797F-436D-903D-12216427A5E1.jpeg
I think it was Tri-State that shot mine.

Yours does look very nice. The long seating on the left side is pretty cool. I'm thinking thats where you'll be sitting with a drink in your hand. lol

I have State Farm insurance and my rate did not change at all and I have a diving board.
I plan on building a 16x18 pavilion once the pool is done (and county inspectors are gone for good). Something like this except it’ll be sideways and the TV will be on the long wall and.no fireplace. This is where many drinks will be had!

Tile and coping were delivered with a planned install of 12/18. Some unseasonably warm weather here in MD, today will hit 70° and the extended forecast has us in the mid to upper 50’s all week.

We did run into an issue that I’m pretty ****** about. After looking at our drawings I noticed that the planned pavilion will be in our 10,000sq/ft septic recovery area, which I’ve learned is probably not going to fly with the county. I brought this up to our builder and they said you’re allowed to put a slab over the SRA but not a permanent structure. Then why in the F didn’t you bring that up when we did the drawings that said “future pavilion”?

So now I’m scrambling trying to meet with the county to see if there’s any kind of exemption since it would only be like 2 feet on the SRA and far away from the current leech field, and even further from any future field. I have a feeling the pool builder knew this, but didn’t bother to mention it since they’re not building the pavilion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tile and coping were delivered with a planned install of 12/18. Some unseasonably warm weather here in MD, today will hit 70° and the extended forecast has us in the mid to upper 50’s all week.

We did run into an issue that I’m pretty ****** about. After looking at our drawings I noticed that the planned pavilion will be in our 10,000sq/ft septic recovery area, which I’ve learned is probably not going to fly with the county. I brought this up to our builder and they said you’re allowed to put a slab over the SRA but not a permanent structure. Then why in the F didn’t you bring that up when we did the drawings that said “future pavilion”?

So now I’m scrambling trying to meet with the county to see if there’s any kind of exemption since it would only be like 2 feet on the SRA and far away from the current leech field, and even further from any future field. I have a feeling the pool builder knew this, but didn’t bother to mention it since they’re not building the pavilion.
Good luck with your county, hope you get the exemption. I'd be ****** at my builder too. He gets annoyed because I ask so many questions, but this is exactly why. There's so many things to consider. Hope you get a resolution.

Tile guy was a no show today, so I guess we’ll find out why and when he’s rescheduled for on Monday when the PB office is open. I did pay to have a guy find all my property markers and then put rods every 30 feet or so on the lines. We’re putting in an exemption for the future pavilion with the county but if they deny it we wanted to know exactly where our boundary was for an alternative location. Turns out I own more property than I anticipated.

Reactions: TampaKathy
Tile and coping crew showed up bright and early today, unexpectedly. I guess better late than never, but I’ll bet they’re regretting not coming Saturday when it was 65° here in MD, it was 29° this morning. First time seeing the tile in person and we’re really happy with how it looks.

Attachments

• 40E8E553-65A1-41F6-A253-88E18487242C.jpeg
    40E8E553-65A1-41F6-A253-88E18487242C.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Tile and coping crew showed up bright and early today, unexpectedly. I guess better late than never, but I’ll bet they’re regretting not coming Saturday when I was 65° here in MD, it was 29° this morning. First time seeing the tile in person and we’re really happy with how it looks.

Are they putting this on today? Seems WAY too cold to be laying tile. Conventional wisdom says above 50. It is not getting out of the 30s today. I fear you will have tiles popping off if they do.

F7E2EDE2-AA32-42D7-9143-333EBB443026.jpeg58A1CC1C-3A1B-4B5E-B7F3-6AE9AAEA0C90.jpeg

So I went out to check the tile and everything looks pretty good except some haze that I assume they’ll clean off sometime.

Then I looked into the skimmers…
The shallow end skimmer, everything looks good. The deep end skimmer has a gap between the top of the skimmer and coping. Why would that be? Seems like the skimmers must not be equal height if they’re not lined up evenly.

Is that the tile or is one of your skimmers sitting a little lower than the others. If you have a 4 foot level, put it across the coping in a few places to see how level it all is. Skimmers should of course both be level with each other so that your fill line is 1/2 way up the skimmer opening for both. There is some leeway in that and probably if they are uneven it will be ok. But for sure it is sloppy. Mine were put down with a spinning laser level and are both perfectly on the same plane.

Oh - Also very poor coping planning to have the coping on the very edge of the skimmer.

Is that the tile or is one of your skimmers sitting a little lower than the others. If you have a 4 foot level, put it across the coping in a few places to see how level it all is. Skimmers should of course both be level with each other so that your fill line is 1/2 way up the skimmer opening for both. There is some leeway in that and probably if they are uneven it will be ok. But for sure it is sloppy. Mine were put down with a spinning laser level and are both perfectly on the same plane.

Oh - Also very poor coping planning to have the coping on the very edge of the skimmer.
I’m assuming it’s the skimmer being a little lower but can’t be certain. The coping appears to be really level but I’ll throw a level on it to be sure.

What will be done to mitigate the issue though? Seems like a good place for water to infiltrate, no? Will it be plastered?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.