18x36 Inground pool build in Maryland

Man, do I have a mess! I’ve been raking up small branches and pine needles from the clearing out of the trees for a week, think I just about have it ready for topsoil and seed. It’s been 95° with high humidity so that’s been quite the task.

Anyway, I just shot off an email to our PB about a few upgrades we’d like to make. Going with VS pump, large cartridge filter instead of DE, upgrading coping, lights etc. we’ll see what they come back with.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Well we got a call from our PB and they asked if we’d like to move up in the schedule! Plan was to start digging in February so we said sure, then they said “great, see you next Wednesday”

Wait what!?!?! We thought they meant like January or something!

Anyway, now trying to scramble to get financing in place. Just talked to the PB owner on the phone about some changes we’d like.

- More decking
- VS pump
- upgraded auto cover lid (stone top)
- low voltage lighting in the tanning ledge
- robotic cleaner vs pressure cleaner

Last edited:
Well we got a call from our PB and they asked if we’d like to move up in the schedule! Plan was to start digging in February so we said sure, then they said “great, see you next Wednesday”

Anyway, now trying to scramble to get financing in place. Just talked to the PB owner on the phone about some changes we’d like.
Wow, you must've found the one PB how isn't pushing back build schedules! Congrats, and good luck with your build!

- More decking
- VS pump
- upgraded auto cover lid (stone top)
- low voltage lighting in the tanning ledge
- robotic cleaner vs pressure cleaner
I hope your financing goes easier than ours! Ours took 2 months to complete! Mostly waiting on home appraisal, everybody is so slammed right now because of all the refis.

I hope your financing goes easier than ours! Ours took 2 months to complete! Mostly waiting on home appraisal, everybody is so slammed right now because of all the refis.
We just did a refinance like 2 months ago so we have all of the paperwork from that already. Hopefully it goes pretty quick! Who did you guys use for financing?

Last edited:
We just did a refinance like 2 months ago so we have all of the paperwork from that already. Hopefully it goes pretty quick! Who did you guys use for financing?

You can use Lightstream. They were who we used. It is an unsecured note, however, so not deductible on taxes.

Reactions: Newdude
You can use Lightstream. They were who we used. It is an unsecured note, however, so not deductible on taxes.
We’re currently working with Lyon Financial. Also an unsecured loan, 4.99% for 20 year term. Not terrible. I actually just got off the phone with them and they said it’ll only take 2-3 business days for final approval. I explained our situation with the PB wanting to move us up to next week and she said she’d put a rush order in.

We worked with our local credit union. They were very old school, still requiring a paper application with supporting documentation to be submitted in person. But they beat every other rate out there. 3.2% for a 20 year term.

We are in a recently built house, so there was no appraisals they could use. Without that step it would have been much faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We worked with our local credit union. They were very old school, still requiring a paper application with supporting documentation to be submitted in person. But they beat every other rate out there. 3.2% for a 20 year term.

We are in a recently built house, so there was no appraisals they could use. Without that step it would have been much faster.
I would definitely encourage anyone to look at a HELOC or HE Loan with your bank or a local bank/credit union if you don't have to stick with an unsecured loan. Saving 1-1.5% over a 15+ year period would be huge! So many ways to get "cheap" money out there these days. I used my bank with HE loan. Now, I just need to get my PB to actually start!

Reactions: Oswald and Newdude
Yeah, once they get the hook in you they don't want to cut you a break on anything. lol. But all equipment right now is hard to get. Most pool builders around here that I know dont have too much supply and they dont know when new equipment will come in.

Just got the change order back from the PB to upgrade to a VS pump, can someone tell me it’ll be worth the $1,200 charge?!?!?

Also going with the upgraded stone auto cover lid and even more concrete!

$1200 is the price of the pump. Are they letting you keep the old pump? Check your utility for VSP rebates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.