18x34 Doughboy Autumn Breeze - Finished!

Re: 18x34 Doughboy AGP Autumn Breeze - NEW Pics!!

Give it a long run on "backwash" first, maybe 3 minutes. Then switch to rinse and make sure the water is clear, maybe 1 minute. Then on to filter and you are good to go.

Problem. My pump has a weird plug.

Little history here. I have two outlets out side that connect in series to an outlet in my garage that is the main GFCI in the circuit. They can all blow the GFCI if needed. Now, the plugs outside look normal but the plug on my pump doesn't. It looks like this. Is there an adapter to make this a normal 3 prong plug?

pool55.jpg

Based on a quick Google, that is a 20Amp power cord and I assume they have added the plug like that to ensure you do not use a circuit of less than 20 amps with that cord. It requires you have a dedicated 20A outlet

You need an outlet like this. I am going assume you can get these at HomeDepot. Look on the bottom row for the unboxed ones for less cost. I would not install this outlet in a circuit with a breaker other than 20A breaker.

800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg

It seems to me the PB should be taking care of this.

18x34 Doughboy AGP Autumn Breeze - NEW Pics!!

My pump also has a special plug. No one here had the correct receptacle or even carries it. Look closely at the plug to be sure which one you have because the very similar ones intended for dryers and stoves are not the same. We had to purchase a pigtail from the pool store, which is cheaper than special ordering the receptacle. I was irritated they hadn't just thrown that on the deal.

Southeastern Indiana, USA
27' x 4' 17,600gal AG round
1.5 HP 1 speed pump
22" Ecco sand filter

18x34 Doughboy AGP Autumn Breeze - NEW Pics!!

Glock, just to be safe... Double check the gauge wire that is feeding your pump electrical outlet. Check from the breaker box all the way to the pump outlet incase it's not all the same.
General rule of thumb is 14ga is 15 amp, 12 ga is for 20 amp and 10ga is for 30 amp.
Sounds like you have a 20 amp circuit so You'll probably be fine but better to be safe than risk a fire.
Then add the 20 amp receptacle for your pump once you know the wiring can handle the load.
Your pump should also have a label on it with the amperage draw.
Hope this helps and throw some chlorine in there and let the kids run rapid lol! :)

It's all 12. My house was just built in 2004 and I made sure it was all 12 for this purpose and for Christmas decorations. All my breakers are 20's. I have Griswold syndrome :mrgreen: .

This is the adapter I ended up getting. I already had a 25 ft / 12 ga ext cord from my last pool. I cut the end off and put this on. Works like a charm.

I should note that my electrician is coming Monday to run a dedicated GFCI and hard wire the pump for me on a shorter cord. What I am doing today is just to get it running so I can treat it. It's already turning green and I don't want a swamp. My pump came with a 25ft. cord and I am going to have the electrician pull that and put on a regular 3 prong short cord to plug into the electrical. Looks like I get to hard plumb sooner than I expected though.

If we swim I will unplug the pump all together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I put my numbers in Pool calculator and am preparing to add:

114oz Bleach to hit 3PPM or should I go 10ppm for shock since the water is turning green?
10lbs of CYA by weight in a sock in front of the return

Not going to mess with calcium since its an AGP. Not going to mess with ph. will retest later and adjust if needed.

I would go for the shock level. If you have green already, you already need to shock. If you add 3PPM, it will kill some of the algae and the rest will continue to grow and your FC will drop to zero.... start at 10 and it will kill a much larger percentage of the yuck and you are likely to continue to keep your FC at shock level once you get the pump up and running. I would stay at shock until you pass the OCLT.

Transparent green usually means metals, if you dose with chlorine to high levels it will likely get worse before it gets better.

You have a couple of choices:

1. Put a sequestrant in the water before chlorinating. You can find some recommended ones here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

2. Chlorinate it and hope you can filter it out without staining the liner. That worked for me, but doesn't work for everyone. Good news, if you try this approach, you liner is pretty dark so if you get just a little staining it may not be noticeable.

I went back out and looked at the green. There is a haze to it. Its slight but you can tell and it gets worse the closer you get to the deep end. The water is already at 91 degrees and was in full sun today. Is there a way to test for metals? I don't want a stained liner but I tend to agree its really dark and will likely go unnoticed.

This is not a surefire test, but you can put about 1 teaspoons of 6% bleach in a white 5 gallon bucket of pool water and stir. Keep the bucket out of the sun and observe if the water tints. Give it about 1/2 hour and test for FC to make sure it stayed pretty high, if not, dose again to raise it back up to about 10-15 ppm and stir/watch it for another 1/2 hour.

Again, this is not a surefire test, but has worked for me for the most part.

Ok, I fired up the pump to all kinds of leaks. A roll of teflon tape later and we are airtight. Except I am still getting air in. I think it might be from below the skimmer as its the only. Here is the pic of the pump. are these air bubbles normal? I cant figure out if they are coming from the skimmer or if the water is beating the air out of the raised "+" in the top of the lid. This pic is from after about 5 mins of running.
pool56.jpg

Linen, This is after the shock and the CYA hanging in front of the return. I took a chance like you and the green is almost completely gone after only a few minutes of 448oz of bleach. The shallow end and the outer ring of the deep end are crystal clear and the deep end is getting lighter. I s that a sign of metal or algae growth?

pool57.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.