18x34 Doughboy Autumn Breeze - Finished!

Re: 18x34 Doughboy AGP Autumn Breeze - NEW Pics!!

Unless you have some sort of miracle sand :wink: ...I would guess the metal content was very low and maybe most of it was the start of some algae...just a guess.

Well, God gave me several semi-rain free hours and I finished the stairs going into the pool and got the weights ready to put in the inside steps. 150lbs of white rock in thick nylon bags should keep those steps in place. I hurt from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet but everything else feels great. ;( Pics tomorrow, too dark tonight. Tomorrow I shall swim!

Looks good, I wold stop doing the 25 ml FC and CC tests and use the 10 ml size, since it will save reagents and you don't need better than 0.5 ppm resolution.

Hi Glock. Just wanted to drop in and add a few lines. Be diligent with those steps (and the rocks you're weighting them down with) to avoid algae. One suggestion I found on here is that, when you add water to your pool, add it inside the steps, so you can get the water moving inside there. We used the plastic-coated weights to hold ours down. There are several methods on here that work well, including putting cement in PVC pipes and using those as weights. We also used a matt under our steps. But ultimately, we decided to move away from the wedding cake steps and went back to the type that came with the pool, because I'm too lazy to take the necessary extra steps in dealing with the wedding cake type steps. With the standard steps we now have, I can lift them in and out of the pool easily enough to clean them occasionally and it's easier to prep them for winter storage.

Also, you didn't mention whether they installed Happy Bottom on top of the sand to aid in preventing divits. Even with the Happy Bottom we got, our installer told us (ridiculously!) that it would really be better if we didn't swim in the pool for the first season, so that the sand would settle in better. I don't know how long it takes sand to settle in, but keeping our two kids and the other neighborhood kids out of the pool was a big....NOT! It's important that the swimmers not make it a POINT to poke their heels and toes into the bottom - you'll eventually have divits, but why rush it?

We held on to our dirt and glad we did, because as it rains on your backfill, it will sink..... a LOT. And since we don't get much rain, you should probably go ahead and water it in and get it to pack. You'll have to keep filling it several times until the dirt packs down around your pool, then get rid of your extra dirt. So I would hold on to a good amount of dirt (for us North-Texans, that means clay -- and yes, I thought you hit oil there in one of those pictures!!)

And finally, I would have asked them about the water that accumulated during the dig (what caused it?) ...and I would have THEM come back out to fix the leaks and not leave until your equipment is running properly. That's what you paid them for!

Congrats on the pool, it looks great! :party:

Linen,
I will switch to the 10ml tests. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess maybe I thought the more water the easier to read? Who knows. I already need more cya reagants because I ran the test multiple times on my fill water just sure i was doing it wrong. lol.

Cherie,
I left the clay on the other side of my fence and goo riddance. I will fill in with sand from here on out. The sand the PB had left over they put on top of the clay and its filtering through all the cracks in the clay. I am on stage 2 water restrictions so when my sprinklers run, I run them for awhile. We had a good bit of rain yesterday so it helped a bit.

No happy bottom. My Pool store actually recommended against it with the deep end. I am not too worried about divits. Our old 18' round had them really bad because the PB that installed it never tamped down the sand. Then roots came up underneath so it was like walking on cords.

The ground water never came back. Our lots here are shaped for run off to go to the edges of the yard and between the homes. I guess it was from that or rain runoff but we had several days with no more water in the hole. Ok, its daylight here now so I get to get some pics of the water and the new steps. :)

I love my liner. Know why? Because of the way it looks with clean balanced water in it. I love the blue.

pool58.jpg

pool59.jpg

The black things in the water are the weight bags waiting on the steps to be tossed in and put in place. You can see the CYA socks still in place as well. That stuff takes forever to dissolve!

And now, my steps. No making fun. This is my first time to build steps. :oops: No plans, in the rain, using power tools (Thank God for GFCI plugs).

All treated lumber and deck screws. They are extremely sturdy and yes they go higher than the pool by about 4 inches. I am replacing the top step today so that it goes over the railing. This way I can put the winter cover on before I remove the steps. No concrete in because this only has to last this season and then they get replaced with a real deck built by a real decking contractor. lol The lights and the metal stakes that connect to the posts are NOT meant for a 4x4 treated post and that is soo misleading. I ended up chiseling out around the post where the stupid things go just so they would fit. And no, I did not do a clean job of that. :mrgreen:

pool60.jpg

Bonding part starts today after a brief swim to put the steps in. The electrical to the pump gets fixed tomorrow from this "hold muh beer and watch this" method to the correct, city and NEC approved method.

Robert

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It looks sooooo inviting, Glock! We walked through weeds (for the two years), then stepped up on a pallet that we had lying around, which is also what the steps were attached to. So we had to weight the pallet down. So you've done a great temporary job!

And don't worry about that Bermuda! You cannot kill it. It even comes back from having had weed & grass killer kill it out. It's VERY invasive.

Here's what we had for the first couple of years!

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 299

My pump has alot of power. My return breaks the surface of the water almost half way down to the other end. Is that normal? My pressure gauge is at 12 when clean and holding steady. 0 when off of course.

Glock said:
Wow, yours looks just like mine. lol. Mine is about 23" out of the ground though. Did you bond yours?

Well, I'd never heard of bonding the pool until I read your thread. No, to my knowledge, ours was not bonded. I was out there the entire time of the construction and nothing like what the link showed on your post was done. DH said all equipment is hooked up to a ground fault, per code. I'm not sure what all that means, but I DO KNOW that the only thing in the ground going around the pool is our buried pvc pipe.

So does this mean I may get electrocuted if I decide to play in the pool when a storm in blowing in? Because, really, we don't have to worry about that! We're "the city between the lakes," which means that clouds hit the lakes and forms a horseshoe around us so we don't get the rain. You should have seen that horseshoe yesterday! DH was just fuming... :grrrr:

Wow, so I put in my inside steps, put the weighted bags in and attached them to my steps. They are rock solid. So, being as I had to get in the pool do that I figured I might as well get acquainted with the pool so I spent the next 4 hours in it. :) So, the question is, is it okay to swim with the CYA socks still in the pool?

Glock said:
Wow, so I put in my inside steps, put the weighted bags in and attached them to my steps. They are rock solid. So, being as I had to get in the pool do that I figured I might as well get acquainted with the pool so I spent the next 4 hours in it. :) So, the question is, is it okay to swim with the CYA socks still in the pool?

good grief man get in that pool :whoot:

Glock said:
I just don't know.I think the water should be smoking by now.. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.