New Pool - If you had to do it over again ... ?

baudilus said:
What I meant was, you could use a valve for each pair of returns - but a 4-way valve works just as well.

Got it ... I didn't do that only because I wasn't sure it would be good for the pump if - on the off chance - the valves were cut back to a single operating return (e.g. 5 off, 1 on).

All - (if anyone is still reading this thread, haha) ...

I am doing quite a bit of research on the equipment manufacturers. Jandy looks very appealing from the standpoint of offering 1.5HP Variable Speed Pumps and the full integration. Hayward setup is similar where the VSP "throttling" can be controlled by the handheld remote or wall plate.

But on pumps, seems Pentair is the most popular.

Does anyone have opinions on the equipment itself. Preferred manufacturer, etc.?

Thanks,

p.s. Attached is my first rendering of my pool design - as designed by me in Visio 2007. I removed it, but this is actually 'sitting on top' of the CAD version of my survey (good thing Visio imports DXF and DWG files) and within 1/10th inch accuracy, so it's ready to go for permitting purposes. I will add plumbing and electrical schematics as layers on top of this. I am learning though this is a lot of work, it's nice to be able to think through it rather than relying on a 3rd party to tell me what I need.

pooldesign.png

Looks great! What kind of time frame are you looking at once you break ground?

Love the little bump out for the planter! I have something similar on either side of my swim out. If I may be so bold, I have another couple of suggestions in that regard. First, get some PVC piping to that location; one pipe is good but two would be best (one from each side of the deck perhaps). If you plan to put in sprinklers down the line, it will be essential unless you prefer to water those by hand. The second would be good for electrical if you wanted to run lights or something, since no municipality with any sense would let you put electrical in the same pipe as a water line.

Second, avoid plants that shed or drop seeds too much if you can; big leaves are also your friend in that regard. Obviously the plants should be able to withstand a little pool water, but realistically unless you splash a LOT this should be much of a concern.

Can't wait to see pics!

Looking to break ground as soon as I get the permitting done in Denton ... which requires - beyond the survey and this plan - that I've identified the registered plumber and electrician. Spoke with very accommodating owner of Shotcrete company today. Will continue ID'ing subs in the next 5 days. So, as soon as I'm comfortable, we'll start - it'll take that long for permitting anyway.

Yes, I haven't put the full plumbing plan together (though I have revised the filtration plan below - needs a few more check valves), but I will definitely be running multiple runs to that planter from either side. Our landscape circuit is actually on the right side, so need to do that in order to run the lighting. ;-)

Planning to go all Jandy equipment (controller, filter, 1.5hp VSP pump, waterfall pump if needed, SWG, lighting, auto-leveler, etc.). I like their warranty (for a DIY I think this is critical) and all the reviews I've read have been generally good. Pentair is well reviewed too, but mainly for their pumps, but mixed for the rest of their gear. It's not an exact science, but Hayward has gotten the worst reviews of any of the manufacturers.

This is actually kinda fun. I will retract that - I am sure - when in mid-stream. But for now, fun.

filtration.png

Looking to break ground as soon as I get the permitting done in Denton ... which requires - beyond the survey and this plan - that I've identified the registered plumber and electrician. Spoke with very accommodating owner of Shotcrete company today. Will continue ID'ing subs in the next 5 days. So, as soon as I'm comfortable, we'll start - it'll take that long for permitting anyway.

Yes, I haven't put the full plumbing plan together (though I have revised the filtration plan below - needs a few more check valves), but I will definitely be running multiple runs to that planter from either side. Our landscape circuit is actually on the right side, so need to do that in order to run the lighting. ;-)

Planning to go all Jandy equipment (controller, filter, 1.5hp SVP pump, waterfall pump if needed, SWG, lighting, auto-leveler, etc.). I like their warranty (for a DIY I think this is critical) and all the reviews I've read have been generally good. Pentair is well reviewed too, but mainly for their pumps, but mixed for the rest of their gear. It's not an exact science, but Hayward has gotten the worst reviews of any of the manufacturers.

This is actually kinda fun. I will retract that - I am sure - when in mid-stream. But for now, fun.

filtration.png

I like your drawing of the plumbing :-D What program did you use? I would like to do one for our pool :cheers:

Brentr said:
I like your drawing of the plumbing :-D What program did you use? I would like to do one for our pool :cheers:

Thanks. Everything is in Visio 2007 ... but the "flow pipe connectors" are a custom pattern that I designed yesterday. Visio doesn't have very convincing pipe shapes.

I would take a look at running each skimmer pipe back to the equipment pad separately. This will give you more control over the suction side and reduce the head loss.

Is the suction VAC line going to be it's own line so that it could be changed to a pressure line in the future should you decide to switch to a pressure side cleaner?

I'm sure you would figure it out but since you have used a small picture that looks roughly like a pump and not the standard pump schematic symbol, you have the hookup backwards. The suction side of the pump is at the end of the pump.

Did you decide what size pipe to go with? It's only a very small increase in cost to go one size larger.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have all Jandy and had been problem free. I didn't know Visio could draw pools that well. I used Pool Studio way back when and it worked out well. It gave me a good diagram with the center points, radius measurements and distances to all the points for the PB.

One more thing:

THE SKIMMER COLOR!!

We have :shock: BLACK SKIMMERS! :shock: I had no idea that skimmers and weirs came in any color other than white! Our pool is white, our coping is white, and surprise--PB installs black skimmers. I could cry. I had no idea; we weren't offered any choices. Work is now locked in.

I am SO creeped out that I will forever have to reach down into two black holes of mystery to pull out heaven-knows-what. Last year with old white skimmers, I was finding dead baby possums, live frogs, bugs and spiders galore, both dead and alive. There's nothing like a skimmer basket full of live yellow jackets. It was daunting when I could see what was in there. Now, I cannot see down in there, even in the middle of the day.

I will have to find and buy long-armed rubber gloves and maybe use a flashlight. What a huge drag.

Please don't get black skimmers.

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.