Conflicting Advice from 2 pool shops.....

What size pump do you have...I have a hayward 2 HP for my 24 foot pool, and it really kicks the water around...Perhaps that is an option for you...a larger pump will push the water more vigerously through the return and hopefully to the other end of the pool...Anybody have thoughts on that...I think you can get one for about 250 bucks...and I have used it for 2 years...wtihout too much effect on my electric bill...but we are on a budget plan...so it stays the same every month...but when I look at usage, it is about the same...since we are in the pool more we use a/c less.

cubbybeave08 said:
What size pump do you have...I have a hayward 2 HP for my 24 foot pool, and it really kicks the water around...Perhaps that is an option for you...a larger pump will push the water more vigerously through the return and hopefully to the other end of the pool...Anybody have thoughts on that...I think you can get one for about 250 bucks...and I have used it for 2 years...wtihout too much effect on my electric bill...but we are on a budget plan...so it stays the same every month...but when I look at usage, it is about the same...since we are in the pool more we use a/c less.

I went down the basement and looked at my pump last night. It is actually a 2HP - I am thinking about getting a 2 speed one though, so that I can save a bit on electricity!!! :mrgreen:

cherylandco said:
cubbybeave08 said:

I went down the basement and looked at my pump last night. It is actually a 2HP - I am thinking about getting a 2 speed one though, so that I can save a bit on electricity!!! :mrgreen:

That should be plenty large enough I mean when I direct the jet directly across the pool, the jet actully piles water up on the other side of the pool...you can feel it 24 feet away. I would think that it would be able to circulate water at the other end of a 41 foot pool...I could be wrong though. Do you direct the jet straight out into the pool or do you direct it so it goes around the pool creating a circular flow?

cubbybeave08 said:
cherylandco said:
cubbybeave08 said:

That should be plenty large enough I mean when I direct the jet directly across the pool, the jet actully piles water up on the other side of the pool...you can feel it 24 feet away. I would think that it would be able to circulate water at the other end of a 41 foot pool...I could be wrong though. Do you direct the jet straight out into the pool or do you direct it so it goes around the pool creating a circular flow?

We've tried all ways - which do you feel would be more effective?

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would direct it slightly down and to the right.

I would concur with poolmom...you want to get as much of a circular motion going so that it goes around the pool and back to your skimmer. You will probably have to play with the downward angle a little bit. You want to be able to still feel it on your legs even just slightly from a distance of 10 feet...When I set up that way...I know that I am getting circulation around the pool and behind my steps. Like I said I get a full circular current going in my 24 foot with a 2 HP pump...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I got quite the workout today :) vacuming and brushing a pool that I won't swim in for a month, LOL

Wow! You're impressive! I don't even have the pump hooked up yet. Dh was worried that it would still freeze hard enough to burst pipes - well, hoses - if I did. I just told him I'd leave it running, but he was having none of that!

I just dump bleach in and try to stir it up good for now.

Soon though!!! I have a couple of busy weeks and weekends coming up, then it will be my turn for pool and gardening work! Love this time of year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.