Name that Algae!

FYI - test strips have been returned to the store, so I will now await for my new TF100 to arrive.

I also got my water tested today.... interesting to say the least!

FAC - 4
TAC - 4
pH - 7.4
TA - 100
Calcium Hardness - 250
CYA - 10
TDS - 400
Copper / Iron - 0.5-1.0

Apparently the the water is fine, aside from the high copper content. This could be contributing to the stains/spots I am seeing. I opted to try a product called "metal free" to try and reduce the copper content in the water since the only other option I was told was to drain the pool and start over. I have no idea why the copper content is high though - the pool guy thought maybe while the house was in foreclosure, someone added a copper based algaecide to quickly fix the green pool? Sounded plausable to me, but then again, I really have little idea :? Could the high copper content be left over from the kem-tek algaecide I added a few days ago?

The sheet reads "Copper/Iron" but we never discussed iron at all, so as far as I am aware, the reading of 0.5-1.0 is for copper (I thought it was closer to 0.5, but he thought it was closer to 1.0).

Yes, the stains were present before I used the algaecide - this is the reason I used it!

Oh that's right... :hammer:
Unfortunately Metal Free is not one of the products we'd generally recommend. Jack's Magic or Sequasol are good ones. In any event, they just keep the copper in suspension. Splashout/water replacement is the only way to lower copper levels. Hope nobody's blonde...if so and you need a way to get the green out let me know.

How long did you hold the trichlor tablet on the stains?

Oh dear god - are you saying that if I venture into the water my hair will turn green?! Argh!

I held the tablet on there for about 30-60 seconds. I will sit out there all night if thats what it takes!

When you say it will keep the copper in suspension, do you mean that it will still return later? Sounds like I need to start making some enquiries about getting the water drained then....

Copper, like all metals, remain in the water, requiring maintenance doses of sequesterant to keep it "in suspension" so it doesn't settle on the surface and stain. Water replacement (that's free of metals :)) is the only way to lower the level... .5 is not awful. If it's 1.0 I'd be worried about further staining and for sure green hair. You could replace about 1/3 of the water, diluting the levels, and then thru backwashing, splashout, etc. the level will continue to come down. But in the meantime a sequesterant is probably a good idea.

Copper turns blonde hair green. Nexus makes a shampoo that gets it out - it's called "Aloe Rid".

Try holding the trichlor on for a bit longer (if the water isn't too cold... LOL)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.