Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much salt to add? First time SWG use

1. Back To Top    #1

How much salt to add? First time SWG use

This spring will be the first time I will hook up my SWG. I thought I read on here how much salt to add but now I can't find it. How many lbs/gallon do I need to initially add?
    AG 24' Doughboy 13,500 gallons
    225 lb Sand Filter, Intex SWG
    Royal Spa Emperor II 545 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much salt to add? First time SWG use

as reference, my pool (20 kgals) took 8 x 40 lbs bags for initial fill...after that i've added 4 more (since Aug 2009)...low temps tend to decrease readings from swcg...as of today, salt level at 3300 ppm and working ok.
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think people would need to know the recommend parts per million for whatever brand SWG you bought.

Then you need to know if there's already some salt level in the water. For example, my local tap water tests out with some level of salt (amount varies depending on if they are drawing from a well or out of the river).
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool Calculator will tell you how much if you know what ppm your SWG likes. Looks like around 300-350lbs will get you to 3200ppm That is, if you are starting with 0ppm.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Have the water tested first for salt content, then use the Pool Calculator.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I forgot to check the Pool Calculator!

7. Back To Top    #7

OP here....going to set salt today. My pump is not hooked up yet for this year. Planning to do that next weekend maybe...I need to change out the filter material. Do I just dump the salt in the pool and let it start to dissolve? Or should I wait until I have everything plumbed up and the pump running?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 4boys531

should I wait until I have everything plumbed up and the pump running?
    Yes you should. When you add any chemical, the water should be circulating
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 4boys531
    OP here....going to set salt today. My pump is not hooked up yet for this year. Planning to do that next weekend maybe...I need to change out the filter material. Do I just dump the salt in the pool and let it start to dissolve? Or should I wait until I have everything plumbed up and the pump running?
    Once you do have the pump running, and you have pre-tested your water for its own natural salt content, broadcast your salt onto the areas of the pool away from the deep end intake, and brush it all around with your pool brush to help it dissolve and blend in.

Engage your Pool Owner Patience and don't add it all at once. Maybe add 3/4 of what the Pool Calculator says, and then test your water. All of your salt does not need to go in all in one day. This process can be done over a few days. No need to bang it and then find your salt is higher than what you planned on. (How do I know this, hmm?)

Lana
    25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

10. Back To Top    #10

In addition to the Pool Calculator, the following link is a useful chart: http://www.h2otsun.com/salt/chart-us.html

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Lana makes a good point for ANY chem adjustment!!!

I know it's often been said, but it can ALWAYS use repetition -- DO NOT ADD ALL THE CHEM ALL AT ONCE!!! When you are adjusting your chem levels, "slow and steady wins the race". Add ~ 1/2 of what you think you need to and wait at least an hour, with the system running, retest and add more accordingly.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

For what its worth, I have a 35,000 gallon pool and one 50 lb bag of the blue diamond crystal water softener salt will raise the salt content by about 150 ppm.
    35k / Hayward Swim Clear C4025 Cartridge Filter / Aqua Rite SWG / In ground / Pebble Tec

13. Back To Top    #13

I agree with Lana as well.

No harm in adding "under the amount needed" and then checking the next day. It's amazing how the reading may change. I'd rather have to add an extra bag or 2 than to have to drain and refill because I put too much in.

Even though it dissolves pretty fast, it seems that it doesn't "really work itself in there" until it circulates for a little bit etc.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.