Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak at output of Whisperflo pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak at output of Whisperflo pump

Greetings.

Have a Purex Whisperflo pump (installed Sept 2001) with a 2.5 hp uprated original motor. My motor has died, and the replacement is on the way (new B2984 two speed motor along with all new pump seals and gaskets). I can handle the motor change with no issues.

I do have a very slow leak coming from the output of the pump - above and just behind the pump basket. It appears that the installers used teflon tape on the threads as expected, and then put some sort of sealant around the connection as well. This sealant has started to dry and flake away and is now leaking.

I'd like to take care of this problem while I'm working on the motor replacement. Can anyone give me an idea of what sealant would be appropriate to use on this connection? I am VERY hesitant to cut away the plumbing and re-plumb as my installer used the bare minimum of PVC getting from the pump to the plumbing manifold.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak at output of Whisperflo pump

I would use PTFE pipe dope on that connection. It's a little too big for teflon tape.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to echo Aquaman, I'd recommend teflon pipe sealant also. Stay away from the regular black pipe dope though.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

One more quick question that I should have asked in my first post: Is there any special solvent or cleaner I should use to remove the old pipe dope completely before reapplying?

Thanks guys!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use an old tooth brush.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your leak at the threaded connection may be from the pump running dry. Maybe the same reason your motor died. You may have run it dry just long enough to burn the seal. Burned enough to leak water onto the motor shaft, but not enough to leak onto the ground and alert you to the seal.
    I use Teflon tape + plus sealer on 2" threads all the time and don't have problems. If the pump ran fine, with no leaks for a period of time before this happened, It probably wasn't the way that it was sealed that caused the leak. The trick with Teflon tape is to use enough, but not too much.

Just a thought...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.