18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS!

Re: After 18 years of Baqua

My wife was bummed when all the "colors" were all green. :) I'm thinking video of the first dose maybe in order.

Found a local shop that sells cal-hypo in 100 pound drums for $160. Since all the liquid is $5.50 a gallon around here, this maybe cheaper for awhile too.

Looked at the forecast next week and it looks like it will be low 80's all week. Great time to work on the swap. My current plan is to lower the PH and top the water off Monday. Tuesday and wednesday go full force from about 10am till I'm ready to go home for the night (around 8pm). Should put a dent in the baqua in that time keeping levels at 15ppm. I've gotta go against the board some here and at least start the swap using cal-hypo as my brother-in-law will kill me if I don't, and since he's my home/car/lawnmower mechanic I want him on my side. The calcium levels should be low anyways that I can start with that, and switch to liquid 1/2 way. :) Gotta keep all sides happy.

Going to order my Tf100 today, but can't find something. Do they sell a refill for the FC test? I know I'll play with this alot, and even with the XL option can see me using all the drops. Once I find that I'll place the order, check my current levels, pee on the pool store floor, and re-read the instructions to swap.

Sad thing is....pool really does look clear.

Since I still can't find the refill, I'm just going to order the XL option and say forget it. Let's hope I don't use it all.

Got back from the pool store with the Baquacil results......
TA.....87ppm
CA......200ppm (Don't ask me how this went up, but I know what you're going to say)
Baquacil Sanitizer.... 30ppm
PH.....7.39
Baquashock.....0

I know, I know.....don't add the Cal-Hypo. I've gotta add at least 1 dose which SHOULD only raise the CA only by 10. After that it's going to liquid.

Now....my brain is fried and I need help with prices.
12% Liquid is $6.50 a gallon
10% Liquid is $7.50 for 2 gallons
6% Liquid is $2.54ish for 1.42 gallons or so

I can pick up the 10% and 6% from Wal-Mart and get an additional 10% discount as well. Which is going to be the cheapest for the swap??

Test kit is on its' way. :D Here's to hoping it get's here by Tuesday.

Mr. David Smith......hook a brother up with shipping speed. I'll repay you by several photo's of the swap.......I promise ya.

Leebo said:
Now....my brain is fried and I need help with prices.
12% Liquid is $6.50 a gallon
10% Liquid is $7.50 for 2 gallons
6% Liquid is $2.54ish for 1.42 gallons or so

I can pick up the 10% and 6% from Wal-Mart and get an additional 10% discount as well. Which is going to be the cheapest for the swap??

Let's normalize it all to volume/cost, i.e. ounces of chlorine per dollar (1 gallon =128 ounces):

12% Liquid is $6.50 a gallon 12/100*128/6.5= 2.36 ounces chlorine/dollar
10% Liquid is $7.50 for 2 gallons 10/100*2*128/(7.5*.9)= 3.79 ounces chlorine/dollar
6% Liquid is $2.54ish for 1.42 gallons 6/100*1.42*128/(2.54*.9)= 4.77 ounces chlorine/dollar

Last choice wins! (I have included the 10% discount in the numbers for the 10% and 6%) Though you will be hauling about twice the weight...

I'll be honest with ya.....I looked at the problem for a second and thought to myself, ya, there's a problem for somebody on the board. :D Thank you VERY much

65/100*400/55= 4.72 for the Cal-Hypo
Looks like even that lost out in my case without the side effects.

As for more photo's. Here's a quick shot of the bucket after two days of sitting. The floaters are the pine needles that are ALWAYS the vein of my life!
photo_6_.JPG

I think you made an error.

Leebo said:
65/100*400/55= 4.72 for the Cal-Hypo
Looks like even that lost out in my case without the side effects.
From this I am assuming you can get 65% cal-hypo 25 lbs (or 400 ounces weight) for $55 dollars? From the pool calculator (not sure if this is right, I may be using the PC model to far from it's center) it looks like 1 lb of 65% cal-hypo is equivalent to ~9.6 ounces of 100% chlorine. If this is true then the equation should look like this:

25/55= 0.454 lbs/dollar

then 0.454 * (9.6 ounces/1 lb) = 4.36 ounces chlorine/dollar

Again, I am not entirely sure this is right, but if it is, even better for the 6% at walmart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You were correct with the 25pounds for $55. My math used 25 pounds equals 800 oz.

Not sure if the liquid vs dry would work out right but either way I'm passing on it. Going liquid after first dose and some tabs for when I'm away.

Got an email today.....TF-100XL is on it's way. Let's hope Fed-Ex get's it here by Monday so I can play around with it some.

had a good bit of rain today, and they're calling for clouds all this week, so not only will it help keep some chlorine in the pool, I can also tolerate working outside.

Current plan is to toss some Cal-Hypo in the pool tomorrow and let it ride........Photo's will soon come.
:nopic:

I was in fact going to toss it in tonight after i got off work, but the in-laws and my wife wanted to watch the colors on first dose, so I held off. I'm guessing it would be best anyways as my test kit shouldn't be here till Monday afternoon-evening anyways at the earliest.

Just tossed in the last bit of pool store PH minus (sodium bisulphate) I had. After about 20 minutes it's go time.
:party: :whoot: :party: :whoot:

im interested in seeing this. i have a few clients that used to have baquacil. it was ok when it worked, but omg the filters went through heck! and the weird algae created by a baquacil pool is gross.

That's almost exactly what we went through. A few years ago we drained about 75% of the pool, and that year we had good luck with it. After that all we had was cloudy, so-so water, plus a TON of crud in the D.E. filter.

Tossed in enough Cal-Hypo today to get it up to about 13ppm FC using the pool calculator only. Waiting on the strips to really start hourly shocking. :D

Here's a shot of the pool using Baquacil. This is as good as it's got this year, and it took a TON of cash to get there.
IMG_4666.jpg

After I tossed in the Cal-Hypo. Sadness....no reds to report. :(
IMG_4671.jpg

Here's a shot of the entire pool about 10 minutes or so after the swap started. Needless to say, I'm VERY nervous! But I trust in ya!
IMG_4676.jpg

Lastly a shot on the steps on day 1. Stupid me forgot to take on before the swap started to compare. :(
IMG_4677.jpg

Here's a link to all the photo's. I'll update it as I go along with more photo's than I post here for those who want to see even more. Now it's off to try and take my mind off the pool for a few hours, or to go to the store and buy more bleach.....not sure which I'm going to do. LMAO
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3910

Attachments

• IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: 18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS

Yay, the conversion has started. The pics look pretty much exactly like when I did my conversion.

Keep an eye on the filter pressure. It should start rising soon.

Your in-laws are going to be so pleased with you in about a week. :goodjob:

Re: 18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS

Going out later tonight to change the DE. I plan on doing that often.

While I'm there, will it be OK to add some more bleach to the pool? I don't have a kit yet, and don't wana mess up while it's on the way. I also however wana keep the party rolling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.