18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS!

Re: 18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS

Hey, do your in-laws realize there are people from all over the country watching and taking interest in their conversion?

All over the country??? This is gone international now!! Canada here. Let's see if we can get it intercontinental!! Anyone following this from outside North America?!

GreatCanadian said:
Hey, do your in-laws realize there are people from all over the country watching and taking interest in their conversion?

All over the country??? This is gone international now!! Canada here. Let's see if we can get it intercontinental!! Anyone following this from outside North America?!
:-D :-D :-D
Hey! Welcome aboard Canada! :wave:
Letsget a party started and end it in Ohio :whoot: :party:

Checked it again tonight......same results almost as before. In my opinion I may have been better off just not doing anything these last few days, however at least the CC level didn't climb back up.

Levels at 10pm "day" 7
FC 0
CC 2

Added 4 182oz jugs
FC 17
CC 2
Not sure if the bleach I got this time was some good stuff or what, as the calculator said my levels should only be 14. I've gotta admit something here however......I'm slipping! I took the time to read almost every Baquacil swap thread on the site before I started mine to make sure I knew every problem that may show it's head. ALMOST 75% of them at the 2 CC's point hit the same mark......the "Can I stop and go swimming mark". My only guess is that people are SO used to swimming in garbage that the water conditions show AMAZING clarity. Even though the science and testing shows there's garbage in the water, people don't care. I too am finding it hard not to stop shocking daily, even almost hourly starting tomorrow, and just toss in some CYA and worry about the last 1.5 CC garbage at a later time and date. I KNOW I MUST NOT! I keep telling myself that we've spent just around $200 so far on the swap in bleach and Cyanuric acid. If we stop at this point, while I'm 99% sure all will be well, that last 1.5CC will come back up and bite me in the a@@ down the line. This was a problem with Baquacil all the time with me. We would get it looking "good" and think the problem is gone. Only to turn our heads for a second and have a cloudy/greenish pool again. These 1.5-2 CC's must die!!

Maybe tomorrow if my computer stops being a :rant: I'd be in a position to further explain today's findings. I promise you I'll re-visit these last few posts, and go into more detail for those following. :D The next few day's I plan on once again hitting the pool hard between running around getting my daughter ready for school, plus if the weather holds off a trip to the zoo on Wednesday.

Now onto the pics.

Steps day 7 8am

Pool day 7 8am

Deep end day 7 8am

Here's a shot of the light and the yucky's around it. Going to scrub this, and maybe even replace it tomorrow.

SOOOO CLOSE!!!

Sorry for my "mood" last night. Just finished up my ruff 3 day work week, and computer was being a MAJOR Baqua!

Anywho.....The in-laws know that I spend a TON of time reading and posting on various forums. In fact I by far spend more time on the computer reading up on stuff than watching TV. It really flips them out sometimes, but I'd rather at least learn something than just watching something. Not saying TV will fry you, it just doesn't grab my attention. Besides, with the Crud that's on....are you shocked? I've been a member on the ExplorerForum for over 10 years now, and one of my favorite posts was when a member from the a small poverty stricken middle east country posted just how lucky we were to have access to parts. He showed "photo's" of his Explorer and the "fixes" they have done to it. If my memory serves me, his SUV had around 500k miles and still with their "fixes" was going.

I showed the chart to my wife for a quick read. She chuckled at the "naked swimmers" line, but it did reassure her some on the liner fading. I honestly am not sure if they're just "anti-bleach" as much as they were just "I don't want to swap" type of people. They were recommended to use Baquacil 20 years ago, and were 100% full force with it until about a three years ago. This is when I started reading up more and more on chlorine and using it for a pool. My main reasoning wasn't the clarity, however the price. The local pool store had a 30% off all chemical sale each year, and I started stocking up on Baquacil for them and saw the price-tag each season. Screw that!! Here's a qucik breakdown of the prices....not including stuff like DE, PH reducer, and the so forth.

Baq Algicide 4 Bottles at $13.56 each. $54.24 total
Baq Sanitizer 7 Bottles at $29.59. $207.13 total
Baq Shock 10 bottles at $13.56. $135.60 total
Total for the year ran $396.97. This was the year we drained and refilled the pool, and had good luck with it. Nothing amazing, but we were pleased.

Baq Algicide 6 bottles at $13.56 each. $81.36 total
Baq Sanitizer 7 bottles at $29.59 each. $207.13 total
Baq Shock 12 bottles at $13.56 each. $162.72
Year total......$451.21

This year all we had was horrid water. After seeing the price go up I started to read some on swapping, and finally convinced them to switch. Come the April pool sale I admit however.....I got schooled. :( I got to talking to the pool store owner, who really was a nice guy. I had NO clue on what chemicals chlorine used or nothing. He started showing my items such as the tabs, the Frog, Super Shock, non-chlorine Shock and so on. We still had 3 bottles of the Sanitizer left over, so even though my in-laws said they'll try Chlorine, I talked them back to staying with Baquacil. My bad! He had told me that they're finding that algae became immune to the algicide, and to switch back and forth between the regular version, and Baquacil's new "Performance Algicide". Ya.....guess who fell for it. :(
Baq Algicide 3 bottles at $13.56. $40.68 total
Performance Algicide 2 bottles at $25.56. $51.12 total
Baq Sanitizer 4 bottles at $31.19 each. Keep in mind also that we had 3 bottles from last year in "stock". $295.92 total
Baq Shock 15 bottles at $13.56 each. $203.40
Year total.....$591.12

Total for all three years......$1439.30! Let's pretend that we spent $475 a year for the last 18 years they used Baquacil, which honestly I'd guess is a VERY low number, but one we'll go with. $8550 in those three chemicals alone. Honestly also, I'm not sure if once they had water that looked this good, and I know the amount of work my father-in-law had to do each day was WAYYYYY more than I'm seeing using Chlorine.

Now I'm off to shower, and then to check the pool. Then gotta do some shocking, vacuuming, trip to the dentist, buy more bleach...and maybe a light, then back to shocking. :D

Update as of 10am day 8
Ph 7.5
FC 10
Cc 2.5
Ta 140
Ch 200

Added 1/2 pound PH reducer to slowly try and get that under control. Also added one gallon of 12.5% cleaner. Retested using 5ml distilled 5ml pool.
FC 13
Cc 2
I added

The pool looks awesome Leebo. Although I'm no expert, I suspect the "yuckies" in and around that light may be the source of your remaining CC. Maybe if you clean it really good or change it out, and then give your filter a REALLY thorough cleaning, you may be able to get that number to 0 a little faster.

That's the plan for today. I've shocked the pool twice today (Olivers 12.5% cleaner is a waste) and have a FC of 17. I plan on toothbrushing the light and skimmer later today.

I'm going to HATE cleaning the filter today. The pressure is amazing. I know it needs done, but man what a waste.

I cant remembr the safe levels for avoiding vinyl bleaching out. I know there is a limit, but I would tempted to get the FC high as possible without causing harm. I am NOT suggesting you should, but I would be temtpted for sure. Man Im ready to see that CC get 1.0 or less! I was going to ask about the the DE. I know some is hiding somewhere... I bet that is where some of the CC is coming from along with what Samantha said.

Im with you on the TV watching, as I would much rather be on the net most of the time. I would evn argue it is better for your mind than being idle watching a lot of that junk.

Allright....get back to shocking and backwashing! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

As of 1:30pm
FC 9
Cc 1

Is it to early to change the DE or should I wait till I'm 100% finished? I've also got another set of fingers in the garage that's only seen Baquacil. How should I "get those ready" to use chlorine? I'm sure there's goo in them, that I don't want in the pool. Would soaking them in cleaner mixed with some bleach do some good?

Spent the last hour with a toothbrush in every crack, wrinkle, nook, cranny I can find. Out came greenish/ white each time.

Die algae Die!

2:30

Fc 8
Cc 1.5

Just scrubbed everything I could find with bleach and water. Going to call it for a few hours and head to the park with my daughter. I think I'm mostly losing the chlorine to the sun right now, as it's out in full force. Here's to hoping the cleaned filter can get these last few. :)

Just got home from the park.....I guess it ain't a bike ride unless the chain falls off at least twice. :blah: :blah:

No new info to post, however I plan on going out later tonight to shock it once again.....and check the CC's closely. I'm really interested in seeing just how much I helped out by scrubbing everything today.

All I've got are a TON of photo's.....I know how you hate that.

steps day 7 3pm

Pool day 7 3pm

Deep end

Here is a few shots of the steps from the pool. They haven't been installed at all during the swap, as I suspected there was algae growing inside of them. Not sure if I was correct or not, but I filled inside with a bleach/water mixture and let it sit for a few hours. I then scrubbed them down with a 50/50 mix of bleach and water. I know it was overkill, but oh well. I'm not getting this far only to ruin it.

After that I took a cheap toothbrush and started to scrub everything I could. It was nice doing this and being able to see, but MAN was the sun shining off the water hurting my eyes. What a problem to have.

All the algae from behind the light.

I took out the eyeballs and scrubbed them as best as I could. I also used the toothbrush to clean inside of the pipes as far as I could. These shots were taken with the pump turned off. There is for sure still gunk inside of the pipes.

Here's a few from the steps. Even more in there.

Last for the day was to clean the filter and change the DE. I took the fingers out again and washed everything inside the filter out again with 50/50 mix. Then hosed off the fingers as well as I could and put everything back together. Letting it run as we speak to try and get the last bit out. You can see there's still been some gunk in the water.

Now it's off for supper and getting the girls their baths. Man what I wouldn't do to be able to run the overnight test tonight!

You're soooo going to be the hero of the pool!

Those fingers gross me out btw. Nasty...

The water really does look incredible. I see glinty! I'd be itching to imagine being done myself looking at that transformation but if there's one thing I know... When reliable thousands swear by a method, deviations will screw it up. Following the protocol exactly as instructed is the fastest and often only route to success.

My daughter, born with clubfoot has had a fully functional perfect foot since 5 weeks old without surgery. After she was corrected properly with casting and the precise series of adjustments, it took 4 years of at least 18 hours a day bracing, the first two of them 23/7 actually. 4 years every day and all night every night. No matter what she wanted or how much she cried, that brace stayed on her feet. She's 8 now, and not even a physician could tell that her foot was ever clubbed and no scalpel has ever touched her foot. The other parents who give into their children's wanting the brace off... all experience relapse after relapse which ends in surgeries for a lifetime (15-20 surgeries by age 40 is not uncommon with clubfoot). An extreme example, yes. But it's the same concept. Just follow the protocol.

There are some things that one simply cannot create one's own rules for :~}

I just ran into a spot where I've gotta question here.....

Just re-read the write-up on how to convert.
7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

8.Your conversion is complete when CC's are 0.5 or less two days in a row.

Which should I worry about first? The processes and logic say to hit the last few CC's just as I have been, then go for the OCLT. However just as OHM_Boy stated, there's surly still Baqua remnants around that can take days to shock away wasting a ton of chlorine? Is the write-up incorrect on this one??

As for the process Frogabog......I've daily been reading almost every "I have a green pool" that I can on the board. We've now spent almost $300 in the swap just a month before we close the pool off for the year. I want to make 100% sure that everything in the pool is correct so it allows me to hit the floor running next year with a clean pool that's ready to rock. We plan on installing some solar heat in the spring so the quicker I get the pool open and clean the more swim time there will be. It's fairly cold all this week, so in all honesty nobody is really wanting to swim anyways.

8pm test results......
PH 7.2
FC 2.5 held some during the day.....I'm shocked
CC 1 :party: :party:

Added 3.5 jugs of 6%
FC 17
CC 1.5 :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.