18' Round Blue Cascade Nevada partially buried?

Jan 28, 2014
Hey pool friends!

We went to get a quote from the pool place yesterday and I think we've decided on the pool in my thread title. I have researched here (and beyond) about partially burying our AGP. Of course, I ask the sales rep yesterday and he said no more than 6 inches.

I have read that 2 feet should be fine for a partial bury. Is this true? Also, do I have to drain completely to winterize (I'm in southwest VA, we have below freezing temps in winter sometimes - I haven't researched this stage in pool ownership yet).

So these are my thoughts on partially burying our AGP:
* I am having a professional backfill for us - the pool will be on a slight slope
* We will go about 2 feet up (52" pool) - we will be decking at some point.
* Keep my pump below water
* Fill pool before backfilling

Anything else that I'm missing?

I feel like a lot of the research I've done of the internet is pretty dated like 2005, saying to definitely NOT bury an AGP at all.

Thank you for your feedback!

The answer to your question about is it ok to bury the pool rests soley on the manufacturer of the pool and the people who are going to warranty their installation labor. Read the owners manual from the manufacturer it will state explicitly if it is ok to bury and how deep you can go.

The owners manual says: We do not recommend backfilling or grading earth up against the pool wall or frame covering any part of them.

I guess I was thinking about going rogue after the installers left and the pool was filled and using my own guy.

Buy a different pool that allows backfilling against it. The ones that say do not back fill mean it. Your pool will pool will either rust out very quickly or collapse from the backfill pushing against it.

If you have already purchased the pool then it's your choice and you will void any and all warranties that come with the pool by backfilling against it. That choice is up to you.

You can always put in a retaining wall to keep the hill away from the pool and still build your deck over the retaining wall. I ended up having to go that route.

Attachments

• 20160702_130632.jpg
    20160702_130632.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 94
Good choice on getting a pool rated for burial.

I would say to get the pump and filter as separate pieces separate from another place. Those combo kits aren't really the best. A 1hp 2-speed pump would be great energy efficient choice for your pool.

And a sand filter. Its a little more money but you end up with a much better pump that will pay for itself in energy savings in probably the first season.

Shop around the internet for the all the parts. The pool factory has nice prices on the pools but the rest of the stuff they "bundle" isn't always the best deal going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The foam cove is a builders choice really ask your installer if they like to use foam coving or if they prefer to build it out with base material.

You really should be looking to buy the pump and filter as separate items. A 3/4hp or 1HP 2-speed pump would be a much better pump for that pool. The 19 or 21 inch sand filter is a good size for that pool. With a 2-speed pump you will run it on low 99% of the time and only use about 1/10th of the electricity of a single speed pump. Not to mention it will be considerably quieter.

The foam cove is a builders choice really ask your installer if they like to use foam coving or if they prefer to build it out with base material.

You really should be looking to buy the pump and filter as separate items. A 3/4hp or 1HP 2-speed pump would be a much better pump for that pool. The 19 or 21 inch sand filter is a good size for that pool. With a 2-speed pump you will run it on low 99% of the time and only use about 1/10th of the electricity of a single speed pump. Not to mention it will be considerably quieter.

Thanks - I did ask my builder and he said no to the foam cove.

And thanks for insight on the pump!

- - - Updated - - -

I would definitely get the foam cove. I would also get the floor liner pad, you want something between the liner and the ground.

My liner is going to on poolcrete - I need a pad between this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.