Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lower TH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lower TH?

Is there a way to lower Total Calcium in water at all? I have looked around and cannot seem to find any suggestions except for a refill or partial refill.

My Dad has bought a house with a fiberblass Hot Tub inside of a little building. His tap water measures 270 TH, it is my understanding that this needs to be around 200.

He has a water well but the water on it is measuring over 900 for Total Calcium. ACK
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

2. Back To Top    #2
    There is a difference between total hardness and calcium harness. I assume you are using test strips since all strips only test total hardness while the majority of drop based kits test calcium hardness. Calcium hardness will always be lower than total (magnesium + calcium) hardness. The only way to lower calcium hardness is to replace some of the water with softer water (or to purposely precipitate out calcium carbonate--which I would NOT recommend trying!)
    A metal sequesterant can help prevent scaling if the calcium levels are very high (calcium IS a metal) but it will NOT remove the calcium from the water, just chemically deactivate it for a period of time so the continued addition of sequesterant is necessary.

3. Back To Top    #3
    There is Calsaway, but they only serve a limited part of Arizona.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School