Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I put my local Leslie’s pool store out of business!

1. Back To Top    #1

I put my local Leslie’s pool store out of business!

Well, I’m sure it wasn’t single handed but since I’ve stopped spending a fortune on chemicals in their store, I’ve recently noticed they’ve closed up.

Oh well.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I put my local Leslie’s pool store out of business!

Hmmm...I guess I ought to take a look next time I drive by the Leslie's near my house and see if they are still open.

Leslie's is still useful if I need to pick up something quick, like a bottle of testing reagent or something.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

A real shame... If my Leslie's closed, where would I be able to pick up a $25 Polaris cleaner bag for $40? or a $10 leaf rake head for $35? I'd miss asking the store manager to order me something from the on-line Leslie's catalog for a 30% mark-up over list. But what would happen to the kid behind the counter who knows a lot more about pools than the franchisee? He would be fired with the same indifference accorded to a beautiful species unable to procreate quickly enough.

So I buy my muriatic acid and salt there just to keep the kid employed until he can get through college. After that...it will be, "¡Adiós, muchachos!"
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

I realize the intent of this thread was mostly facetious, but I don't think it is ever a positive thing when a business goes under, even the egregious pool store. They have their place in the market. If they can find people who are willing to buy from them at whatever price, then good for them! Let those who are unwilling to search out a better way pour their money into Leslie's, it's good for the economy! :P

It took me all of 1 visit to that store to realize there must be a better way. So I did a little searching and found this excellent forum as well as the old Pool Forum, and Garden Web. It really wasn't very difficult...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    I realize the intent of this thread was mostly facetious, but I don't think it is ever a positive thing when a business goes under, even the egregious pool store. They have their place in the market. If they can find people who are willing to buy from them at whatever price, then good for them! Let those who are unwilling to search out a better way pour their money into Leslie's, it's good for the economy! :P

It took me all of 1 visit to that store to realize there must be a better way. So I did a little searching and found this excellent forum as well as the old Pool Forum, and Garden Web. It really wasn't very difficult...
    Well said Beez, I too found Leslie's and pinch a penny to be very expensive and this is how I found this TFP and GW. I only wish I had found it sooner

Not sure how people found this forum but it might be a great thing to do a poll

To Jasion and Josh, what are your thoughts
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

No, I don't like seeing businesses close or people being put out of work. I cringe every time I hear new unemployment numbers because I know that each one will affect an entire family.

But, that being said, nature needs to take its course or we can’t have progress. These times are not the usual weeding out and while there are many good businesses going under, most of what goes first are the ones that only survived because “they were there”. In fact, a lot of the problems we are experiencing today are because of being artificially propped up.
    In this case there is local competition that is still doing quite well and while I do feel bad for the manager who lost her job at Leslie’s I don’t feel bad for this chain experiencing difficulties in a tough market. Their competitor did a better job of meeting all customers needs and is surviving.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    where would I be able to pick up a $25 Polaris cleaner bag for $40
    sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but what's the best place to get s replacement bag for my 480? I refuse to believe some of the prices I see for these things.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus
    Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    where would I be able to pick up a $25 Polaris cleaner bag for $40
    sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but what's the best place to get s replacement bag for my 480? I refuse to believe some of the prices I see for these things.
    Have you tried online? Seems like the net always has good prices.

I have turned to Leslie's on two occasions for last minute - and in a hurry - purchases. Though not exactly convienent, at least they have proper testing supplies as opposed to the other so-called pool suppliers who carry test strips.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, Polaris parts are pricey and I can imagine that the 480 is pricier yet (marketing decision), but you can compare prices using Google, which will bring up sites that give you a range of prices. I've purchased bags at Leslies web site. Also check out:

Poolcenter.com
    Polytecpools.com

The good news is that (since shipping is based commonly on weight) bags are light!
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009