When to Open for 2010

Just scheduled our first opening for 4/22. We still need grading and some deck work finished, thus waiting until the 22nd. This is huge for us as we built during last fall and have yet to get wet.

cubbybeave08 said:
pulled cover back...sparkly and clear all the way to the bottom...Yea ME!!! :party: :party:

And me too! I haven't pulled the cover off but I've been peeking and I can see the pattern on the floor bottom! Almost time! :whoot:

Winger 03 said:
Just scheduled our first opening for 4/22. We still need grading and some deck work finished, thus waiting until the 22nd. This is huge for us as we built during last fall and have yet to get wet.

We are here to walk thru the first opening with you and can't wait to see some of the first 'get wet' pics :mrgreen:

Here's to your opening :cheers: :cheers:

2nd year BBB'er, I had some trouble with my fence over the winter and the contractor is coming out next week. This year was my first closing and followed everyones advice to the T. I snuck a peek at the pool and I am thankful to say that i can see the bottom (crystal clear). I havent gone as far as taking samples yet, but I think i am going to open on April 17th. :party: :whoot:

jerzeyrep01 said:
2nd year BBB'er, I had some trouble with my fence over the winter and the contractor is coming out next week. This year was my first closing and followed everyones advice to the T. I snuck a peek at the pool and I am thankful to say that i can see the bottom (crystal clear). I havent gone as far as taking samples yet, but I think i am going to open on April 17th. :party: :whoot:

Last winter was my first winter and when I finally opened...I tested and still had 7 ppm. Shocked up to 15 ppm in the fall. As long as you did that...you'll be good. Congrats on the sparkly pool!!!

You're one of us now...welcome to the sparkly side!!!

My pool never closed. It's completely swimmable right now, if 70F water is your idea of comfortable. It's not mine. Although I have swum in snowmelt runoff in the Sierras.

We used to play "¿Quién es más macho?" when camping. First guy to wade in up to the cojones gets to claim the title. Then of course someone else has to be the first to completely submerge himself so he can claim it. To top that, someone has to swim underwater to then pound his chest and declare "¡Yo soy el más macho!"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
flyweed said:
Richard320......ok ok...I just couldn't hold it back anymore..but seeing your location...I just gotta ask...do you REALLY have a Circle K there, and are "strange things afoot??" :)

Dan
There is a Circle K! But, like, dude, I dunno if any strangeness is afoot there.

:google: has it on streetview - NE corner of Walnut and Bonita, across from the post office.

I'm getting anxious to get ours open too! We installed our pool late last fall and all I got to do was get my feet wet in it while we were trying to work out any wrinkles in the liner... way too cold for anything more than that for me then.

I'm so tempted to open next week and see how my levels are at least. May end up throwing the cover back on for a little longer though due to some trees we have that like to drop tiny buds and yuck everywhere.... luckily they are already dropping them, so should be done with that soon :)

Gotta get a solar blanket ordered so we can start working on getting some heat accumulated in the pool so it's warm enough for DH & I when we're ready to swim.

Richard320 said:
My pool never closed. It's completely swimmable right now, if 70F water is your idea of comfortable. It's not mine. Although I have swum in snowmelt runoff in the Sierras.

We used to play "¿Quién es más macho?" when camping. First guy to wade in up to the cojones gets to claim the title. Then of course someone else has to be the first to completely submerge himself so he can claim it. To top that, someone has to swim underwater to then pound his chest and declare "¡Yo soy el más macho!"

simple way to win that is to throw a big net of beer into the river or lake...and let it cool...Then the person who dives in first and finds it is the winner...T : :super: See there has to be a prize to get people to really want to do it...AND I don't know many guys that wouldn't be willing to dive in to a cold river for a bag of beer :cheers: I know a guy who dove into a snow bank in the dead of winter in just a pair of shorts just for the fun ot it!!! He's a special case though!!!

I opened yesterday. We have a mesh safety cover, and the water level was slightly over the top of the skimmer, which was fine, as I vacuumed on waste to get rid of some worms and really fine silt that had settled on the bottom of the pool.

The water was 45 farenheit, but we have solar heating, and it's supposed to be sunny and warm the rest of this week - I expect 70-75 water temp by the weekend. It's really amazing how much heat the solar can put in, if it's sunny out.

I shocked but haven't had the water tested yet (work interferes with my pool life). Expect to get the water tested tomorrow.

Temp went down to 1 celsius last night, but the pump comes on automatically if the temp drops to 34 farenheit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.