When to Open for 2010

Pool is balanced...Here are my numbers
FC 7
CC 0
TC 7
pH 7.4 up from below 7...added 76 ounces of Borax, and ran pump for an hour before retesting
TA 100
CH 130

Still haven't check CYA as I just finished adding water.

Last year I had troubles with pH and could not get it into range...THis year piece of cake. I am going to add more trichlor tomorrow and then next weekend start looking for liquid chlorine...12%

mamasproject said:
So I just re-tested the pool.. and this is what I have

FC 5
TC 6
CC 1

This morning the FC was 10, can the pool consume that much chlorine in 7 hours? That is if my testing was accurate. The pool guys said I had 0 FC this morning...they added 5 gallons of LC.

Based on my "new numbers" do I need to add more chlorine. The water is pretty clear, I can see to the bottom of the deep end, it just has some pollen and worms right now.

Yes, two things consume chlorine: sunlight and organics. You have both issues, as you have no CYA in the water. CYA acts as a sunscreen for your chlorine. You need enough CYA to get you to 30-50 ppm. The higher your CYA level is, the higher your FC must be - refer to the CYA chart for more details.

Second, your CC is 1, and anytime the CC is higher than .5, you have to shock the pool.

You are "done shocking" when:
Your pool is clear and sparkly;
Your lose less than 1ppm of FC overnight;
Your CC is .5 or less.

If you don't meet that criteria (you don't :)) - you continue shocking.

Some purchase some CYA/Stabilizer (you can buy the HTH brand at Wal-mart fairly inexpensively otherwise buy at the pool store). Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much you need for your pool to get up to 30-50.

Holler if any of this is unclear. :wink:

Thanks for all your info!
Since I have no CYA in the pool now should I use the liquid or granular form? I understand the granular form takes days to dissolve. I do have the trichlor pucks ....BioGuard Smart Tabs...that I could put in the chlorinator. Will that build my CYA quickly enough?

Yes, I read about the "sock method"...kinda sounds funny..LOL!!!

So just to clarify....I put the amount needed...pool calc said I need 112 oz.....in the sock, tie off and hang in front of the return jet? Just want to make sure before I do this!
My husband is going to be laughing at his sock hanging in the pool..he probably thinks I'm nuts!

Yup, 112. Now that's 7 lbs - you can't put 7 lbs in one sock. If it is a tube sock, you could do 2-3 lbs per sock at a time. If you have more than one return, you can do more than one sock at a time.

Once the CYA dissolves from the sock - it can still be 5-7 days before it registers on the test, so save your testing reagent for then. But assume your CYA is 30 and adjust your FC levels accordingly. :wink:

WOW! 7pounds!!!
I have 5 returns so I probably can do the 7 pounds at the same time! How long does it take to dissolve?

And THANK YOU for all your help...like I said before...this is NEW to me and I really want to start out on the right foot!

Off to WalMart I go!!!

mamasproject said:
WOW! 7pounds!!!
I have 5 returns so I probably can do the 7 pounds at the same time! How long does it take to dissolve?

And THANK YOU for all your help...like I said before...this is NEW to me and I really want to start out on the right foot!

Off to WalMart I go!!!

ONe safety note...use rubber gloves and a mask of some sort...the last two times I used Cyanuric Acid in a sock...I either inhaled it or absorbed it and got horribly sick to my stomach...It wasn't till the second time that I realized it was the CYA...The first time I also spent the not killing a case of beer with my neighbor...but the second time I drank nothing and still go sick...So please becareful...It may have just been me and how I reacted...but just take the precautions!

The CYA is in the socks and hanging in the pool! My kids had fun helping me "hang" the socks! By the way when I tested my water this morning I had...

FC 5
TC 5
CC 0

The water looked great this morning....sparkly clear to the bottom! Now if I could just get the Polaris to work correctly!

I read the last post too late...about handling the CYA....I didn't use gloves and did it in the kitchen over the trash can. I feel fine! Thanks for the warning though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.