What's your pump schedule, and why?

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
I thought it would be interesting to see our various approaches to pump schedules.

In the off season, when the pool is cool and uncovered, my schedule is an hour at 1,200 followed by 2 hours at 2,200 and 30 minutes at 2,800.

The schedule starts mid/late afternoon so when I get home from work and want to test, adjust or brush, the water has been circulating and chems will mix. The higher speed at the end is for skimming.

In the swimming season, when the pool is warm and covered, I'm currently running 6 hours at 1,400.

I run it at high speeds while heating.

rc,

I run my VS pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time. I don't care what time of year it is. The pump ramps up to 1500 RPM a couple of times a day for an hour, just to help with the skimming. And once a day, it ramps up to 2800 RPM for 15 minutes to flush out the waterfall plumbing.

Why do I do it that way? I have a SWCG and like making a little chlorine all the time. I like skimming all the time. I never have to run through the Prime cycle, except when doing maintenance. It makes scheduling my automation easy, using feature circuits.

The down side is cost. It costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run my pump 24/7.

I am just saying what I like to do, and not suggesting that my way is a better way than your way, or any other way. In my mind it is "Whatever works best for you and your pool"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I realize every pool system is unique and I am currently developing my schedule as I have recently installed a variable speed pump. My schedule now is 1.5 hrs at 2500, 3 hrs 1400, and 1 hour at 2800. The pump is used only for skimming and chem distribution and no other use. I would prefer a two start time option so I could run twice a day skimming and am using the 3 hour 1400 for that purpose. I don't visually see surface debris draw into the skimmer below 1700 rpm. Still learning how this works and expect more changes to come.

Mine is quite complex.

It starts with 4 hours on, and then another 20 hours off. Sometimes if we are swimming it can be 6 hours on and 18 hours off and those blocks may not be contiguous. Lucky the timer has those little flippy bits on it to allow changing the program with a fingernail in 15 minute increments.

Reactions: johig
We moved into our new house in July and it took me a few months and some experimenting to dial in my V/S pump to my liking.

My pool faces the Southwest and we are in San Diego, so the pool is in full sunlight beginning at about 12:30 until sundown. The spa is in full sun beginning at about 10:30. I found that the spa spillover "sweet spot" is 1800 RPMs to get some water moving and benefit from a bit of surface skimming. I also found that my vacuum "sweet spot" is about 2600 RPM. And, I tend to add my chemicals in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed. My current schedule is:

1800 RPM 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
2600 RPM 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
1800 RPM 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
2600 RPM 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
1800 RPM 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
1000 RPM 11 p.m. - 4 a.m.

Just moved into the house and am learning all this new pool stuff. We have an old school single speed pump that we are running from midnight until 3 AM. I picked a later time, since I knew the freeze protection would most likely run at night, so no real need to run it again during the day as well. Debating right now on getting a VS pump...it appears it wouldn't be too hard to do since our panel has the correct software to run one. But, would also want to reconfigure the plumbing since a booster pump is in the mix of it all for the cleaner (no longer used) and the heater, so would just prefer to delete that pump all together if installing the VS.

What speed do you run while heating? I just replaced my heater and am still gathering data. In the meantime, I run 2,800 with cold water and 3,000 with warm water.

I actually haven't used my heater for the pool, just to heat the spa. For that application, I run it at the top speed of 3450. We recently had solar installed, and the pump setting is 2800 for the when the system activates to send water up to the roof panels.

Just moved into the house and am learning all this new pool stuff. We have an old school single speed pump that we are running from midnight until 3 AM. I picked a later time, since I knew the freeze protection would most likely run at night, so no real need to run it again during the day as well. Debating right now on getting a VS pump...it appears it wouldn't be too hard to do since our panel has the correct software to run one. But, would also want to reconfigure the plumbing since a booster pump is in the mix of it all for the cleaner (no longer used) and the heater, so would just prefer to delete that pump all together if installing the VS.

I was considering doing this very thing. Do you think there is any downside to this? For example, will the pool absorb more heat if the water is moving while the sun is beating down on it in the day? Otherwise, it makes perfect sense to schedule at night during the winter, because freeze protection is more likely to kick in then too.

My schedule:

10PM - 10:20PM: Run spillway from spa to pool to skim surface
10:20PM - 12:20AM: Run pool in cleaner mode (60 GPM, running vacuum)
12:20AM - 5AM: Run to circulate water, I think 30 GPM?
5AM - 5:20AM: Run spa to turn over it's water

This was based on the Pentair rep's suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still figuring it out (build just completed in November), but at the moment have settled here:

12:15 AM to 6:15 AM, 1000 rpm (because frost protection was kicking on there for awhile, those temps have raised again here in central TX)

1:00 PM to 4:00 PM, 1000 rpm

Had much higher rpm (2800) to get more skimming action when leaves were dropping. Most have fallen for season now, so feeling okay at moment with the lower rpm. Also found this article in an earlier thread, which has some great info on rpm and run time.

Now got me thinking....

Am considering going to three shorter runs, about 2 hours each. If my frost protection hadn't been kicking in, I'd do it now. Of course I can shut frost protect off, but don't want to take any chances there. Have read some good threads here that make me believe I don't have to turn over the entire 18K gallons a day, so am becoming less concerned with that and more concerned with brushing and chemicals for keeping it algae free.

I have two major requirements that I have to structure my filter pump schedule and flow (speed) around respectively.

1. My utility company uses a "Peak Use" program, where you can save a reasonable amount of money, if you limit your electricity use to OFF-peak hours. We do not run the washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, pool pump and etc during those peak times if possible. So not only do I incur the savings from a energy-efficient Pentair pump, but additionally, by not using it during the utility peak times. So I have to schedule around those peak times. This made scheduling a bit more challenging at first, but it's on "auto-pilot" now. I just change it twice a year in the automation to accommodate the two utility company seasonal changes.

2. Currently, I use a suction-side cleaner for the pool floor and lower wall cleaning. It requires a fair amount of flow (pump speed) in order to move around sufficiently and to clean efficiently. So, in my case I have to crank-up the pump speed higher than at other times, so I can get maximum efficiency from "Rita" (my suction-side cleaner). One day, I may retire Rita and opt for a Robot cleaner. If I do, then I will be running my pump at minimum speed, just enough to satisfy the IntelliChlor flow switch and to get decent filtration from my sand filter.

Here is an example of my "complicated" :D schedule. Once it (the schedule) got programmed into my automation, everything is handled like "clockwork" ;), including the opening and closing of the pool Skimmer/Cleaner 3-way valve. This allows for 100% use of the Pool and Spa Skimmers ONLY (no suction-side cleaner use) during the "low-flow" pump run times.

2018-12-27_17-12-34.jpg

I run my pump at night as summer rates and Edison’s off-peak usage request, and I continue night ops thru entire year. I run a quick cycle in summer afternoon for swimming and chemical mix purposes. I have an in floor cleaner, so I run high speed for longer.

12000 gallons (pool+spa volume)
2800 Rpm for heating

Summer:
2300 rpm 1pm-2:30pm (afternoon skim for afternoon swim :)

2500 rpm 6pm-10pm (IFC cleaning)
Throttle down to
1100 rpm 10pm-6am

Winter: Not as windy or dirty so less cleaning necessary.
2500 rpm 6pm-8pm (IFC cleaning)
1500rpm 8pm-midnight
1100rpm 12am-6am

rc,

I run my VS pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time. I don't care what time of year it is. The pump ramps up to 1500 RPM a couple of times a day for an hour, just to help with the skimming. And once a day, it ramps up to 2800 RPM for 15 minutes to flush out the waterfall plumbing.

Why do I do it that way? I have a SWCG and like making a little chlorine all the time. I like skimming all the time. I never have to run through the Prime cycle, except when doing maintenance. It makes scheduling my automation easy, using feature circuits.

The down side is cost. It costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run my pump 24/7.

I am just saying what I like to do, and not suggesting that my way is a better way than your way, or any other way. In my mind it is "Whatever works best for you and your pool"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, how do you keep the SWG cylinder full at the lower rpm's? My chamber is only 3/4 full at 1100rpm. I had to increase to 2000rpm to eliminate the problem. I like your schedule and would replicate it if not for the SWG chamber. Am I overly concerned?

Jim, how do you keep the SWG cylinder full at the lower rpm's? My chamber is only 3/4 full at 1100rpm. I had to increase to 2000rpm to eliminate the problem. I like your schedule and would replicate it if not for the SWG chamber. Am I overly concerned?

Mike,

I have a Pentair IC40 SWCG.. It is not clear, so I have no idea if the cell is only half full of water or not... :confused:

That said, even at 1200 RPM, I have plenty of return flow to the pool and no air in my filter, so it seems unlikely that the cell would not be full of water.

From my point of view, as long as the flow switch is closed, then I am good to go.

It could have to do with how your cell is plumbed into your system.. My cell is horizontal and about in the middle of the filter tank, height wise. I can't envision how the filter could be full of water, without the cell being underwater... :p

When I run at 1200 RPM, my filter pressure is less than 2 lbs.

Does your SWCG have a flow switch? Does your manual say anything about the cell having to be full of water? I too would be concerned, unless I knew for sure.. Good thing mine is not see through. :p

I'll see if I can find some answers..

Thanks,

Jim R.

This thread, along with me recently setting up schedules for my automation, has got me doing a "deeper dive" with regards to pump run-times along with SWCG and MA dispensing percentages and run-times (since for me, they are all "tied" to one another). After looking at a lot of material here on TFP regarding pump run times and using the following information and guidelines to help me, I'm hoping that I have refined my scheduling/pump run-times a bit more.

I am attempting to get away from the historic "one pool turnover per day" rule-of-thumb that I had traditionally used in the past.

Pool School method for Determining Pump Run Times
SWG Run Time Calculator
SWG Comparison
to obtain my average 24 Hr SWG FC Production Rate

By using the above information/guidelines, I have modified my Filter Pump scheduling around my expected Chlorine/MA dosing requirements AND my utility company "Peak Use" hours, and consequently, I have reduced my winter run times by five hours (four hours at 20GPM and one hour at 50GPM.

Here is how I have modified my schedule for now.

2019-01-01_13-05-06.jpg

Note: My SWCG and MA dosing percentages indicated for the summer months may be modified in the future (based on manual chemistry testing), as this will be my first summer integrating the automation, VSF pump and chemical dispensing systems, as one complete system. In addition, I may try to cut 1-3 hours off of my summer schedule and see how the pool does with less hours scheduled in the summer.

UPDATE: Just a side note. By having my pump scheduled at low speed from 0200 -0500, I figure that I do not have to worry about activating the "Freeze Protection" feature in the automation, since that is the only time of the day that "MAYBE" freeze protection might be useful in my geographical area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.