Lowering calcium hardness

Jul 20, 2016
Boca Raton, FL
My calcium hardness seems to be gradually climbing over time.

Went from 350 to 425 over the past week or so.

I live in Florida. I think the calcium hardness stays low in summer due to rain, but now we are in the dry season.

I read that you can lower calcium hardness with soft water, but I am not sure where to get soft water?

Can you add something to the end of your hose to make the water soft?

Most of us who wish to have the option to add softened water do so by taping into a home water softener. The size/capacity of the water softener is important as the amount of water softened (for pool or home) effects its use and regeneration times. Also make sure to use only plain/regular bleach when you chlorinate and do not use Cal-Hypo products form the pool store. The Cal-Hypo adds calcium with each dosage, bleach does not. :)

Last thought …. during times when your CH appears to be elevated, pay special attention to your pH and keep it from getting too high. A lower (or slightly lower) pH helps to compensate for an elevated CH and reduce the likelihood of scaling. Always use the PoolMath tool and refer to the CSI row on that calculator to see what I mean.

One could buy a RV water softener and use math to soften a bit of water and then Regen the softener, but I would this this would be costly and labor intensive.

A better option is to top up with softened water from your house, but you need to know things about your water softener.

If you don't have one test your fill water ch.

Buying a water softener for my house is probably obe of the best things I gave ever done, not including pool usage.

How about starting with some basic math.... There are 7.48 gallons of water per cubic foot. By my calculations, your pool is 93,500 gallons. Did they host the olympics at your house in 1988?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.