Best Pool Covers for Warming Water

dlz227

Dec 13, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
We moved into a new house with pool in Arizona, and we're looking for a pool cover that:

- protects against evaporation
- warms the pool

We don't have a heating system installed, so I'm looking for suggestions for covers that can help raise the water temperature.

I've been looking at solar pool blankets on Amazon, but all the reviews say that the plastic breaks down in the extreme heat. I'm worried these won't last in the AZ sun and we'll be dealing with cleaning the plastic debris.

I've started reading about mesh and vinyl covers, but I'm not sure which of these would be appropriate. The pool is 18x36ft, with a deep end, 15-20K gallons.

Would love to get suggestions. Thanks.

Most common recommendations are for cheap bubble covers, which are quite disposable and only last a year or two. It’s all about reducing evaporation (i.e. heat loss). More expensive ones last the same amount of time according to user reports here.

I second what bmoreswim says. Also, they do a fine job of heating the top 3-4 inches of water but that's it. In the grand scheme of things that's not going to heat the pool to any noticeable amount. But they are great at keeping the heat in. Plan to buy a new one each year so just get a cheap one.

Their main advantage is not so much in being able to heat the water but more so in keeping the heat trapped in the water by reducing evaporation.

Evaporation will cool your water quite quickly.

I have only had my new cover installed just the other day (new pool) - Prior to this I was losing 4C to 5C degrees overnight as far as my water temps were concerned. Popped the cover on and with similar ambient temps - I only lost 1C overnight...!

They work best in conjunction with some other form of heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.