In-ground vinyl liner question

dcjbhm

Dec 12, 2018
Pensacola
We bought a house in July that has an inground pool with a pretty old liner. It is stained, faded and ripped/disconnected at the edges in a few spots (above water). My question is - if there are no underwater leaks, how long can we let the liner go before risking possible damage to whatever is underneath the liner? I am worried that minuscule amounts of water/debris will get under the liner and rot the fiber glass or whatever is underneath it. On the other hand, the pool is swimmable (if not pretty) and we'd like to wait a couple of more years so as to not have to finance the liner replacement. Any insight?

The area under your liner is normally going to be wet all the time regardless of the condition of the liner. Ground water will try to fill the hole unless you live in a very dry place.

Thanks, all. The guy we had come and do the liner replacement quote told us that he could install the new liner and that the issues with the concrete "aren't that serious - I've seen a lot worse". He told us that a new liner would have no problem holding up in that one particularly jagged area. I don't see how, but he is the expert. Does that sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.