Pool Water - Settles in layers?

Pat_

Sep 19, 2018
Brisbane
We know it's good practice to take water samples at elbow depth, while the water is circulating etc but have there been any studies that demonstrate how the solution of pool water may settle in layers once circulation stops? Is the effect significant enough in that you will get vastly different test results at different depths?

Pool water will stratify based on water temperature.

Once you run the pump and circulate the water long enough to mix chemicals after adding they will not separate from the water.

If you let your pool water sit still for a long period of time you may have areas of low CL or PH differences. These will quickly resolve once you get the water circulating.

You should take your water samples with the pump running.

It's not the "TFP way" but I take my water samples from just below the surface at the pool steps where I have the least water circulation. I test in the evening when the sun has been out all day and the pool pump has been off a few hours. That time of day is also a 23+ hours from when chlorine was last injected. I use this "worse case scenario" to draw my sample water because I know that good test results under those poor sampling conditions means my water will always be as good or better at other times of the day and other locations in the pool. Why test under good conditions if that's not the worst conditions my pool water sees each the day? It not like I saw a big difference from when I used to dip at arm's length but it seems logical to me to test the water where and when it should be the most out of balance.

I once noticed leaves and debris suspended in a perfect layer about 6 inches above the pool floor. It was really surreal seeing no leaves on the bottom, and leaves floating above it on some invisible surface

i realised I’d added salt the day before. It had dissolved but it hadn’t mixed. The leaves were floating on the layer of brine.

I once noticed leaves and debris suspended in a perfect layer about 6 inches above the pool floor. It was really surreal seeing no leaves on the bottom, and leaves floating above it on some invisible surface

i realised I’d added salt the day before. It had dissolved but it hadn’t mixed. The leaves were floating on the layer of brine.

Awesome, did you get a photo?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.