Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Right now, I have my IC-60 transformer drawing power from the Pool Filter Pump relay (Pool Circuit). That means that every time the Filter Pump relay is energized, the IntelliChlor transformer is also energized and the IC-60 is powered-up. Reading the many threads on TFP regarding the IntelliChlor, I have discovered that every hour that the IC is powered up, reduces the life of the cell (if I understand this correctly.)

I was thinking (always a dangerous situation :)), that if I wire the IC transformer through its own relay, then I could create a feature circuit for the IC, which would then give me a lot more control over when the IC is powered-up using the automation scheduling, features, circuit groups etc . Then I could conceivably increase the output of the cell to 100% and only schedule it for the amount of time necessary to maintain the chlorine level.

But I realize that the IC should only be powered-up when the Filter Pump is also on. So I thought that if I wire the IC relay line side through the Filter Pump relay load side, then the IC could never be powered on unless the pump relay is energized.

Like this...

2018-12-05_21-29-22.jpg
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but if anyone has any advice, thoughts or comments on why this might be a good or bad idea, it would be great to get some of your feedback.
Thanks in advance!!
r.

r,

I can't think of any reason that I would want to run my pump and not make chlorine... But, your idea will work just fine.

The fly in your ointment is that one hour at 100% uses the same "usage" hours as 10 hours at 10%.. Kind of the whole point of being able to adjust the SWCG's output. With the newer cells, you can adjust your percentage down to 1 or 2%...

Just my personal preference, but I like to run my pump 24/7, so that I can run my cell at the lowest percentage.. I do this because I like the idea of adding a little chlorine all the time, vs. adding a bunch of chlorine all at once.. Since I run my pump at about 1200 RPM, most of the time, the cost is way less than $20 bucks a month.

From the cell's point of view, it does not matter.. it can only generate so much chlorine, it does not care if you use it up in day or a million years... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

r,

I can't think of any reason that I would want to run my pump and not make chlorine... But, your idea will work just fine.

The fly in your ointment is that one hour at 100% uses the same "usage" hours as 10 hours at 10%.. Kind of the whole point of being able to adjust the SWCG's output. With the newer cells, you can adjust your percentage down to 1 or 2%...

Just my personal preference, but I like to run my pump 24/7, so that I can run my cell at the lowest percentage.. I do this because I like the idea of adding a little chlorine all the time, vs. adding a bunch of chlorine all at once.. Since I run my pump at about 1200 RPM, most of the time, the cost is way less than $20 bucks a month.

From the cell's point of view, it does not matter.. it can only generate so much chlorine, it does not care if you use it up in day or a million years... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks much for the info! I was not aware that reducing the cells output also reduces the "use time" counted against the cell. Somehow, I got the impression (I thought I may have read it here on one of the threads) that one hour of output time is one hour of output time, regardless of the dosing percent setting. If what you say is true, then that certainly changes my outlook on the issue.

I certainly would agree that a small continuous dosing of chlorine per day, seems more advantageous then one or two high doses per day.

I have another question or two along these same lines if you don't mind.

1. Not counting winter months so much (I use very little chlorine in these months to maintain FC of 5), is there a consensus on the best times of the day to add chlorine in order to get the best results from the chlorine?

2. If power is applied to the IntelliChlor but the cold water shutoff feature is activated, do you know if that "time" counts against the "use time" of the cell? Using the logic that you provided (less dosing output = less "use time" counted against the cell), my guess is that it would not.

Thanks very much Jim! I always appreciate your insight and input as I try to delve deeper into understanding some of these topics.
r.

Power on time on the cell is different then cell generating run time.

Power on time does not take away from life of the cell.

Time generating CL subtracts from cell life. Cell generating run time is controlled by the % run time control. When cell is disabled from generating due to cold water or low flow or low salt it is not subtracting from cell life.

I personally feel you should be adding the CL when your pool needs the CL. That is during the daytime when CL is lost due to sunlight. It keeps the CL level the most stable.

Like Jim I run my pump 24/7 and keep my % low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.