Measuring out chemicals

Apr 27, 2018
Houston, Texas
I was just wondering how everyone measures out their chemicals. I bought a little bucket that has ounces marked on the side, and that's how I measured the chemicals that I added today, but I was wondering what everyone else does.

If we're going to keep doing that, I will buy several more, so each chemical can have their own bucket. We are new to this, so we really appreciate any advice and tips! Thanks for sharing! :)

You are best to not transfer the liquid chemicals from the jug, to a bucket, and then to the pool. If you need a quart of liquid, just use 1/4 of the gallon jug. Approximate is fine. With your size pool a few ounces either way is not going to make much difference.

If you insist on measuring, get a 4 cup plastic measuring cup for acid and one for chlorine. Pour into them over the pool as close to the pool surface as possible. Then immediately pour the contents slowly into the stream of water coming from the pool return.

For solid chemicals, such as CYA or if needed, baking soda, it is best to weight them using a scale.

One of the advantages of being old as dirt, is getting to go to the Horse-Pistol more often... :p

I use a couple of their large plastic cups with the handle and measurement markings..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Genuine question. Why is that?

More opportunity to splash or spill a chemical where it doesn't belong. Muriatic acid doesn't play nice for example. I take the jugs of liquid chlorine or muriatic, lower them into the pool until almost at the top then tilt and pour. No splashing and the water supports the weight of the jug making dosing even easier. Bonus is to cap the jug and lower again for a quick rinse then store it.

Reactions: marcdcmb
I don't measure. I eyeball the amount in the jug or bag versus what PoolMath says I need. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or the entire amount in the container. If I am unsure I will add about 2/3 or what PoolMath says and retest in an hour or so. Then add a bit more if necessary. Once I get a feel for the chemicals I can usually get it right in the first dose.

Target the middle of the ranges and if you undershoot or overshoot a bit will not matter.

To answer your question: I don't. I eyeball it.

After owning your pool for a bit, you'll start to see how it reacts to each chemical you add. Eventually you'll remember that all recommended ranges for chemicals are just that -- ranges. Don't make this more complicated than necessary. :)

I actually have an old diet scale with a built in bowl that I keep out at the pool shed for dry chemicals such as CYA, Baking soda or Calcium. For liquids I use large quart sized "hospital cups" as they have all the standard and metric measurements on it.
PoolMath provides both the quantity and weight options in its answers. Use whichever you find easiest.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which was the reason for my question. I measure, but that's because with a 19kL pool 250ml of acid is quite a lot. A hundred ml either way can mean an extra point or two of pH.

An extra tenth of a point isn't usually a make-or-break scenario for pH. That said, I measure also only because I like to test and see it hit the mark on the spot.

I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one. Yes, it's nice to do a test, dose the pool and have the next test hit the nail on exactly where you wanted to be. My pH meter reads to 2 decimals and in my diddy widdle pool 100ml (which is about 1/38th of a US Gallon) is about 0.16 pH. That's pretty hard to eyeball out of a 4L bottle.

I have calibrated measuring vessels, I may as well use them. Heck, I use a pipette to size my test samples (although some of the reason for that is I can get the water from 18" down only having to put my hand 6" into the water).

My name is Brad, and I measure my pool chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.