Questions TF Test Kit Results

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Have used the TF 100 Test Kit for years, and trust its results. Never an issue until now. 1) CH test; adding R-0010 & R-0011L resulted in very light pink. Took 20 drops of R- 0012 to become a faint blue. Did test twice; same result. If this is accurate, it indicates my CH is about 500 ppm. How red, does the "red" have to be to consider it accurate? Likewise, how blue does "blue" have to be to consider the test valid? To what degree should I rely on my own subjectivity?

2) TA test. Adding the R-0007 & the R-0008 resulted in a light green. After adding 40 drops of R-0009, I stopped for it never did turn red, just sort of a very light orange. Did this test twice, also. How green does "green" have to be to consider the test valid? Same with red.

Total pool test results: FC: over 10 ppm; CH: @500 ppm; TA: @400; CYA: 7.8; Salt: 3700. Water is clear & clean; heated by heat pump to about 85 degrees. Pool Math indicates I should add 16 oz. muriatic acid. I've turned off SWG until FC drops to about 4. Is there anything else I ought to consider? Any suggestions most welcome! Thanks very much.

Total pool test results: FC: over 10 ppm; CH: @500 ppm; TA: @400; CYA: 7.8; Salt: 3700.

When did you last replace your reagents?

TA@400 - does not pass a reasonability test.

CYA: 7.8 - you mean PH?

What is your CYA?

If PH is 7.8 I would not add any acid.

Yeah, pH is 7.8. CYA is 70. Reagents probably are about 18 to 24 months old. Typically, what is "life span" of reagents? Given all this (figures & colors)does it seem more like reagents used for CH & TA are outdated? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, pH is 7.8. CYA is 70. Reagents probably are about 18 to 24 months old. Typically, what is "life span" of reagents?

18 to 24 months.

Order new reagents. TFT had a Black Friday sale that you may still get today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.