Is warranty worth it to buy a VS Pump directly from a dealer?

Oct 17, 2018
KATY/TX
Pool company I am going to have install my Intelliflo VS pump is charging 1400 for the pump whereas the internet charges about $950
Is it worth it to get that warranty through the installer? I can almost buy 2 pumps for their price lol.

I am probably going to buy through them and spend the extra money, but want to know what you all think about that.

Check for rebates from your utility company. Often there Is a rebate that you can only get with a local company. If so, that maybe the deciding factor.

Depends how handy you are to install the pump and be able to deal with any problems that occur.

Well after they install this I plan to watch all of this like a hawk and then I'll be able to do pretty much anything. That and I'll get my pool school going soon so I'll understand how the waterflow is working what all of the valves do and all that jazz.

Pool company I am going to have install my Intelliflo VS pump is charging 1400 for the pump whereas the internet charges about $950
Is it worth it to get that warranty through the installer? I can almost buy 2 pumps for their price lol.

I am probably going to buy through them and spend the extra money, but want to know what you all think about that.

M,

I ran non-pool related repair shops for several different manufactures over the past 30 years... All of them had one thing in common.. Their warranty repair rates usually ran about 1% or less. And 85% of that 1% usually came back within 60 days due to "infantile failures".. Basically some type of manufacturing issue.

It has skewed my perception about the real value in warranties in general.

I purchased two complete Pentair systems, which included an Easytouch automation system, Intellichlor salt cell, and IntelliFlo pumps. They have been running 24/7 for an average of about 5 years without a failure. (I did loose a flow switch after about three years..)

The same system at my house was installed by my pool builder, which of course cost about twice as much.. My neighbor took a direct lightning strike and I got what was left over. It took out the main board in the EasyTouch and the protocol adapter for ScreenLogic.. Since the system was less than three years old, I called my Pool Builder and the Pentair tech came out and replaced everything under warranty...

So there are two examples... One shows why a warranty is useless, and the other shows why a warranty is great!!! :p

Paying extra for a warranty just depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

My personal experience shows that warranties are not usually worth the extra money... But I can't argue with anyone that finds them beneficial...

That said... If you buy equipment on-line, you have to be able to install it yourself (or have a friend), or there is not really much of an advantage.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree with warranties generally being completely useless. Companies wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money on them.
I have read about these vs pumps having many issues and since I am VERY new to pools I decided to go with it and pay that extra 500 or so bucks and see how it goes. After watching them install it and set everything up and then getting a pool school I will be fairly confident enough to do it myself the next time.

This company said I could buy it and they would still install it so that was the reason I used them over another company that would not install my stuff.

When installing a VS pump, make sure you have a surge protector in place. In fact, I added two of them. One at my main service panel and a second one on the pool sub panel. Power surges are, by far, the number one cause of VS pump failure.

I struggled with this as well. I also struggled with going VS or Single speed. I ended up buying a single speed online from Amazon. It was way cheaper than anything I could get. Installation wasn’t bad at all. The main reason I didn’t go VS was the pinch a penny by my house told me they have seen a lot of issues with the electronics going bad after 3-4 years - I dunno - could just be that they make more on installing single
speed. Anyway, after I did more research I ended up finding a single speed cheaper from
Amazon. I don’t know if it will be covered under warranty or not - probably not. I am hoping i don’t have a reason to find out.

For $1400 - that is a lot to gamble with. Even at $950, that is a lot to gamble with. For me, it wasn’t only about it being much cheaper, (although that was a big reason), it was about wanting to do it myself. Crazy as that sounds, I love the DIY stuff, so it was fun. I think you just have to weigh it out. With all the electronics in those things, having a warranty may give you peace of mind. Others would have more experience - like i said, they talked me out of it at the pool store, but the VS pumps might be just fine! I’m sure there are folks on here who have had them for years without an issue. [emoji106]

Yea I'm just like you lol, I like the DIY stuff, but I'm gonna let them do this one time and see how it goes. I read a lot about the pentair VSP and it is much better part-wise than the hayward and apparently has less problems so ill try it out and see how it goes

Just for reference, I purchased and installed a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 VS pump four years ago. The pump cost me $835 online, and if it died today, I would order a new one tomorrow. It by far the most reliable and recommend pump on the TFP website There was also a rebate at the time from Pentair, which I got by proving to Pentair that I had it “professionally installed”. Since they didn’t define the term, a bill from an electrician, plumber, or pool service complied with the requirements. I had a friend check the install and give me a bill. I sent in a copy of my purchase receipt and the bill. Pentair gave me the rebate and a full warranty.

A quick online search shows that one can be had currently for $899 or less, and there is a Pentair rebate program. Just be sure to add surge protection and use pump couplings on the install. It makes it easier and (since the couplings seal to the body of the pump with an O-ring) insures a leak free connection.

You should also check with your power company for a rebate there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Warranties are far too easy for the issuer to get out of with lots of little tricks or loop-holes to negate their losses. I installed my own pump, added surge protection, got the utility rebate and haven't lost any sleep over it.

I never, never, never buy extended warranties. They are just another profit center designed to relieve you of additional cash. When pushed to purchase an extended warranty, I tell the salesman that if they made a good product in the first place they wouldn't need to offer me an extended warranty.

lol stop it chief, you are making me regret my decision to purchase from the pool company. Just this one time I will waste the $400 extra to have their warranty where they just come out and fix or replace what is wrong for free. It looks like that Asurion warranty I would be taking it apart or paying someone to take the pump apart myself and send whatever in or replace parts and they don't send someone out to do it which would be around $100-200 anyways.

I'll be a sucker just this one time and get their warranty lol
All the other times I've bought various items and never purchased the warranty so I've saved that money overall ;)

I’m not sure your comparison is apples to apples. You are asking about the warranty @$1400 vs internet price of $950. Then warranty isn’t 450 bucks, but the ability to point to the old pump and have a new pump appear in place with a warranty. You are talking installed vs parts only. I would DIY as looking at my pump , it would take less than about an hour with undoing the whip and then cutting in a new section PVC and a coupler.

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Oh wow... my bad ! That’s just more reason to DIY.

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Happy Thanksgiving! Be careful with Asurion on line Amazon warranties. There have been members that reported positive feedback and negative feedback, not from warranty claims, but from conversations with Asurion. I tried calling them several times with no success as I was told to call Amazon. Called Amazon, I was told to call Asurion. I ran around in circles. If there is a positive warranty thread on this forum, please link it.

For me, I ordered a pump on Amazon this year. It was defective. Sent it back with no problems. Called my friend in the business and for $150 more, it came with a Warranty. The difference was sales tax (not from Amazon of course), and $100 in labor (well worth it). Registered product with Hayward. Be careful as some distributors will not honor the manufacturer warranty if installed by homeowner, or it is very limited, so you may have a gap in coverage between one warranty to another, but that still has to be proven.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.