Replacing the 1.5hp pump for waterfall features, should I do variable speed?

Oct 17, 2018
KATY/TX
I am going to replace both of my pumps, the main pool pump will be the intelliflo variable speed pump. I was initially just going to replace the motor on my water feature pump but pool company said I could save myself some trouble down the line if I just replaced the entire pump.
I was going to replace it with the $589.99 Pentair Whisperflo Energy Efficient 1.5 HP Full Rate Pump - WFE-6 but I thought maybe I should do a variable speed pump here too. Is that something people do? I don't run the water features very often and I would think that you have to run it at full speed anyways if you want enough pressure for a proper waterfall.

What do you guys think?

No benefit to the extra cost of a VS pump for an infrequently used waterfall.

A Whisperflo pump is not a good choice for a waterfall.

You should get a water feature pump.

How much flow do you need?

What is the pipe size going to and from the pump?

Okay maybe it does just do the waterfall this is a picture of the pump I am replacing.
Why would they have used this pump if a waterfall pump will do the trick?
I just purchased the 1.5 hp intelliflo pump about 5 mins ago lol so hopefully im not going to have to cancel that order.
5.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 25
It's common for builders to use a regular pump for a waterfall or water feature even though it's a poor choice.

It's also common to undersize the plumbing.

Many builders don't know any better and they don't have to pay for the electricity or listen to the pump.

So, a regular pump can somewhat overcome the undersized plumbing.

Proper design is large plumbing and a water feature pump.

How well does the current pump work and is it loud?

I can hear the bearing going out in the current pump. It was recommended to me to replace just the motor by a pool service company. I went with another service company though and they are recommended me to just replace the whole pump with a whisperflo. (they know im not buying the pump from them so I don't think they'd be trying to screw me over)

In my opinion, a water feature pump will be quieter and use less electricity if the plumbing is correct.

If the plumbing is not correct, the water feature pump might not work.

To really tell, you would need to put the correct flow rate on the plumbing and measure the suction and the pressure so that you can see which pump will work best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I don't know how to do that haha. Since I already bought the pump I'll stick with it and I'll inquire to the installer if next time I should go for the waterfall pump.
I RARELY use the waterfalls so electricity won't be too bad I don't think, but I will definitely have this stuff tested next time if this pump fails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.