When to SLAM for algae

AvM

Oct 11, 2018
BOCA RATON, FL
My pool has been clear since I SLAMmed a few weeks ago - I followed all steps carefully. I'm brushing weekly and the walls still do get some algae buildup - especially the shady side of the pool. Does that mean I need to SLAM again? It is possible that my FC has dipped below minimum amount here and there. Otherwise, the pool stays pretty clear.

My most recent numbers:
FC - 6
CC- .5
CYA - 50
TA - 110
PH - 8.2 (just added acid to lower)
CH - 275

Whatever the reason, algae = SLAM Process. As for why it happened, is most cases it's simply a matter of the FC falling a bit too low for the current CYA as seen on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. In some cases, poor water circulation or lack of consistent brushing can contribute to the development of algae somewhere in the pool. Each pool's characteristics are different, so we all have to find what methods of maintenance work best for our pool type, equipment, shape, etc.

Av,

I suspect you just never did get rid of the algae during your initial SLAM... The "shady side of the pool" is not the problem.

I would SLAM again, and this time use the SLAM level for a CYA of 60 and hold it at that level for an extra 24 hours after you believe that the SLAM is done.

It should be a pretty short SLAM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm pretty sure I covered everything in the initial SLAM (Thanks to Dave and others!) I'm still confused if algae=SLAM, about why there's a need to brush regularly even while maintaining proper FC levels - is that for small amounts of algae on the walls?

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a light in the pool that I didn't remove during the SLAM - do I need to clean inside that? I don't know how to take it out.

Might be harboring algae. Normally messes with your ability to get a successful OCLT.

What type of light is it? Does it have a metal ring around it with a single screw at the top?

You should be able to remove the screw, the ring will hinge, and the light body should have excess cable to raise it to the deck. Then scrub out the light niche.

I'm still confused if algae=SLAM, about why there's a need to brush regularly even while maintaining proper FC levels - is that for small amounts of algae on the walls?
That's to keep your pool clean....regardless of algae. Brushing is an essential part of pool maintenance and it should be done at least weekly IF YOUR POOL IS PERFECT and daily if you are in a SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still confused if algae=SLAM, about why there's a need to brush regularly even while maintaining proper FC levels - is that for small amounts of algae on the walls?

Algae has this neat self protective ability of of making and hiding behind biofilm. So if you disrupt that biofilm (by brushing it) it allows the FC to get at the algae and kill it dead.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.