Who Else Is Afraid To Use Someone Else's Hot Tub

Sep 10, 2018
Athens, Ohio
We are renting a cabin with a bunch of friends for a vacation and it has two hot tubs at the cabin. All my friends are excited about it and I'm sitting here thinking to myself I'm not sure if I even want to get in it and risk it......... This place has kind of ruined me on communal hot tubbing! I mean we will be there 4 days and I'm sure the rental company isn't going to have someone there every day to check water quality and sanitizer levels.....

You have become a TFP 'snob'!!!!!

Can you take at least a TC/pH tester with you? Might get some looks from your friends but they will thank you if the thing has 0 chlorine and a pH way out of range.

You have become a TFP 'snob'!!!!!

Can you take at least a TC/pH tester with you? Might get some looks from your friends but they will thank you if the thing has 0 chlorine and a pH way out of range.

That thought had already crossed my mind! The more I think about it the more convinced I am that I will at least test FC level and PH. Once you start down this path you might as well take the whole test kit because even if FC is there then I will wonder about what the CYA level is....... It's a slippery path :rolleyes:

How's it go? Friends don't let friends... something... something...

Even if you're not going to get in, you still have to bring the kit and test the water. If I had a friend do that for me, I'd thank him. I'd make fun of him first, of course, but then I'd thank him! ;)

If the tubs are not sanitary, then call the rental management company to make them so. If they're using chlorine, talk them into leaving some for you, tell them you're a "pool guy" and that you'll take care of the tubs for the time you're there. They'll probably let you (less trouble for them).

I have the same concerns as we are renting a cabin in May with some friends. I plan on bringing the whole test kit, some dichlor, some dry acid (for ease of travelling with), and I will purchase bleach locally. But I still have reservations if these actions are enough! Drain purge and refill I know is not a realistic option, even though it is what's right! Years ago, however, before I knew anything about water care or tfp, we rented a cabin and used the hot tub every day with the care instructions provided to us, though I don't quite remember what they were. Moral of the story, our skin did not melt off and we are still alive! So, I say take the kit, observe the conditions, test and adjust accordingly ,and hope that a few alcoholic beverages eases the fact that you are sitting in people stew!

I'd take along a jug of bleach.

I'd also recommend that if you do decide to get in, don't then get out and linger in your swim suit- take a shower and wash off. Most cases of Pseudomonas folliculitis present on areas covered by the swim suit. You know, the swim suit is holding funky water against the skin. And give your friends the stink eye if you see any funky rashes or skin issues as they prepare to get in.... just a warning. ;)

Maddie :flower:

Several years ago, the wife and I rented a very nice cabin in the mountains of North Georgia. It had a fantastic (in appearance ONLY!) hot tub that we used several times. A couple of days after getting home, the wife was suffering terribly from a UTI that didn't let up for almost 3 weeks. So, most likely we would NEVER use a rental cabin hot tub again...and if we even THOUGHT about it, you are darn skippy that I would be bringing my TF-100 with me.

Sure - Maddie rolls out the nasty things -- surprised their is not a picture ------------

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I happened across your comment about Hot Tubs and what might be lurking in the water, YUCK! But even worse than a friends hot tub what about the public ones you can rent by the hour? �� Can you imagine what is left behind just waiting for its next host to hop on. Sorry had to mention that.

Here is an article that was recently published in the Service Industry News. This paper is sent to pool and spa service people as well as dealers and manufacturers in the industry. The article was written by Marcelle Dibrell, the managing editor. Forum readers will appreciate the information included in this article.

6058100f-9e7e-4c57-a0b7-58eeb51f0791
be6f86b8-856b-41b6-b3b4-d99ba790d9b2

Here is an article that was recently published in the Service Industry News. This paper is sent to pool and spa service people as well as dealers and manufacturers in the industry. The article was written by Marcelle Dibrell, the managing editor. Forum readers will appreciate the information included in this article.

6058100f-9e7e-4c57-a0b7-58eeb51f0791
be6f86b8-856b-41b6-b3b4-d99ba790d9b2

Here is the actual article.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.14.03 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.14.03 AM.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 72
I have the same concerns as we are renting a cabin in May with some friends. I plan on bringing the whole test kit, some dichlor, some dry acid (for ease of travelling with), and I will purchase bleach locally. But I still have reservations if these actions are enough! Drain purge and refill I know is not a realistic option, even though it is what's right! Years ago, however, before I knew anything about water care or tfp, we rented a cabin and used the hot tub every day with the care instructions provided to us, though I don't quite remember what they were. Moral of the story, our skin did not melt off and we are still alive! So, I say take the kit, observe the conditions, test and adjust accordingly ,and hope that a few alcoholic beverages eases the fact that you are sitting in people stew!
I'd probably skip the dichlor. Almost certainly the CYA is higher than it should be, not lower. You may also want to bring baking soda, as dichlor/triclor overuse can bring the TA to zero and crash the pH.

Coincidentally, my daughter was just describing this morning her girls' night out last night, which included a dip in some sort of sudo-hot-springs tub at a local spa. She said it smelled of sulfur, not of chlorine. But she didn't know if chlorine was being used or not. Any anti-germ benefits of sulfur? Whether it's simulated or an actual hot spring? I imagine a natural hot spring has the benefit of replacement (though the rate of replacement would come into question). Is a tub of sulfur water any safer than one without the sulfur seasoning?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.