OKLAHOMA CITY / OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I leave my pool open all year and generally don't have many problems during the winter as I keep a close eye on everything when it gets below freezing temperatures. I live in Oklahoma City and the winters are generally mild, however we may have a cold snap that wants to freeze the top of the pool for a a few days. With that being said, if I were to be away from the house for a week or two, what can I do to combat the freeze if it were to happen? I will take out the pool cleaner before I leave, and I will turn off the booster pump for the cleaner. My worry is the skimmer flaps, last year one of them froze in an upward position, preventing the water to continue to free-flow down into the basket letting air into the system. Luckily I caught it quickly, and poured some hot water around the skimmer and freed up the flap. I was wondering if I should just push the flap down and secure it down, so this can't happen and the water flows continuously? Does anyone have a remedy or suggestion?

You could leave your pump on 24/7 at a low speed.

I am fine with that, it would keep the skimmer flap in the correct position to avoid sucking air?

As I think about this, I would only imagine that it would of had to be running when it froze last year, unless it froze before the freeze protection switch kicked it on???

Yes. You would have water flow into the skimmer all the time.

OK, I will try this. Do you think there could possibly be a better position for the water to be in? What I mean by this is would it be better to have a little bit more water in the pool, or a little less water in the pool? I am just trying to think of the flap and the position it takes on.

I don't have a VSP, I just have one speed. I can just leave it on 24/7 and still have the same results correct?

I saw the Stealth pump and figured it was a VS. With a single speed it will work, but will cost a lot more in electricity.

Do you have a main drain? You might consider setting the pump to pulling from that when you are gone. You forsake the skimming action but ensure your pump does not run out of water.

I saw the Stealth pump and figured it was a VS. With a single speed it will work, but will cost a lot more in electricity.

Do you have a main drain? You might consider setting the pump to pulling from that when you are gone. You forsake the skimming action but ensure your pump does not run out of water.

Now that is what I needed to hear! Move it to the main, I suppose the water will just remain at the top of the skimmer when it's solely pulling from the bottom? Awesome!

What about the skimmer pipe, could it be prone to a freeze if I left it alone without water running through it? I suppose I have to give and take in this situation?

I am in Oklahoma to and going through my first winter with the new pool. Pool was just completed a couple weeks ago.
Since everything is new I am a little nervous about trusting the built in freeze protection on the Easy Touch Panel so I put the panel in service mode before the freezing temps and am running the pump on low speed pulling water from the drains and
the skimmers.

You should be able to split the flow. Does your main drain plumb back to your pad or is it tied to the skimmer?

If you go full main drain, I would suggest putting something in the skimmer to take up any ice expansion. Like a cut up pool noodle, weighed down plastic jug, etc.

You should be able to split the flow. Does your main drain plumb back to your pad or is it tied to the skimmer?

If you go full main drain, I would suggest putting something in the skimmer to take up any ice expansion. Like a cut up pool noodle, weighed down plastic jug, etc.

So to understand you correctly, I split the flow always right now. I have two skimmers, and then the main drain. Sorry this picture is the only one I have currently, but you can see the setup.

I have the two skimmers on full as well as the main drain on full suction? I can cut up a noodle if that method would be best? I am sure you can decipher, but the main and skimmers are the furthest plumbing away.
2.JPG

fet.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For normal operations there can be minimal suction from the main drains.

If you had the valves set as you state last winter and had an issue, then I would suggest, while you are away, going to primarily main drain suction with some skimmer suction left on with the pool noodles in the skimmer, just in case. The noodles should not restrict flow. Or, you can hold down the weirs in the skimmers. But I would still primarily be using main drain suction during that time.

For normal operations there can be minimal suction from the main drains.

If you had the valves set as you state last winter and had an issue, then I would suggest, while you are away, going to primarily main drain suction with some skimmer suction left on with the pool noodles in the skimmer, just in case. The noodles should not restrict flow. Or, you can hold down the weirs in the skimmers. But I would still primarily be using main drain suction during that time.

Gotcha, I have been equally splitting since day one. I will carefully monitor everything and use your suggestions. Can you expand a little on the pool noodles, I am thinking to cut one up to make the full circle of the skimmer basket? Like this??

3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a newby to all this but I think as long as you have water flowing through the skimmers and the drain you shouldn't have any freezing issues. At least thats what I am hoping for with mine.

If the temperature gets cold enough like it has the last few years the pool surface will freeze, the water will be flowing underneath, but the top will freeze. If you read my initial post, I just happened to find my skimmer flap frozen up, this was preventing my pool water to make it to the pump and or adding air into the system. I think this action, for a pro-longed period of time will fry your pumps as they are cooled by the water.

That should work. Or like I said, an empty plastic jug weighed down with some rocks. You want something to accept the expansion if the water in the skimmer freezes.

That should work. Or like I said, an empty plastic jug weighed down with some rocks. You want something to accept the expansion if the water in the skimmer freezes.

Sorry last question, excuse my ignorance. :lovetfp:

For the plastic jug, you are talking about an empty milk jug with rocks in the bottom, is the cap used? The jug will be floating a little but weighted down?

Right. Any kind of plastic jug that you can weigh down. Should not be floating. Leave the cap off.

I am going to bring this up one last time, I was thinking over the weekend and had another idea to possibly vacation and keep the pool from freezing. We are having really mild days lately, 50-60 degrees. I was thinking if I heated the pool during the daytime hours, and put the solar cover on. I was thinking if i could get the pool upwards of 50 and keep the cover on I could possibly avoid the pool from freezing? Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Beware of the corrosive effect of condensation in your heater when water is cold. Many heaters have a minimum recommended water temperature.

Read Pool Heater Condensation

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.