High load commercial pool

The SWG output is 45 each (not sure what units those are - but I was told it’s the biggest capacity) and one of them is brand new as I only installed it last month when one wasn’t enough.

The Astral 45 unit will/should produce 45mg of Chlorine gas per hour when run at 100% drive level and with the appropriate level of salt in the water.

Testing that I have carried out in my pool shows that these cells tend to prefer the salt level to be up at around 4000ppm (as per manufacturer's recommendation). If your salt level drops to say 3000ppm then you will not be able to achieve full output.

BTW - How are the two cells connected - Via two independent chlorinators or some other method?

My salt level is good. It’s aroune 4200 today. Not sure how the cells are connected.

Put in 2 kg of chlorine at 545 pm (from pool calculator this will achieve shock level of 12). At 630 pm FC is 3.0 and CC is 2.0. Will put in another 1.5 kg now and test later tonight.

OUCH! You have something eating the FC! Okay so the next time you dose and test try to test within 30 mins of the dosing. We want to make sure your chlorine is as strong as it was when it was made. We are going to have to come up with a workable plan for your pool's use.

Kim:kim:

Ok so today
430pm FC 2 and CC 2
545pm added 2 kg 65% cal hypo
630 pm FC 3 CC 2, added 1.5 kg chlorine
830 pm FC 0.5, CC 1.5, added 2.5 kg chlorine

Really not sure what’s eating up all my chlorine !! It’s 9 pm now on a Saturday night and I can’t stay back any longer so am going home.

I will I’ll come early tomorrow morning to test again.

- - - Updated - - -

In order to SLAM properly I would have to stay overnight at my swim school and that’s not possible !!

Something is going on with your water for sure. At the beginning of this thread you talked about draining and refilling the pool. It might be the way to go since you can't shut down the pool for the time needed to do a proper SLAM.

If you decide to drain/refill be VERY aware of your water table in your area. Is there a lot of water in the ground that could push the pool up? How is the pool laid out as far as depth? I have ideas.

Get to bed and we will work on this when you wake back up.

We will be closing for 2 weeks for Xmas and new year and we plan to drain the pool then.

Its an above ground pool if that helps.

I need a plan of action for the next 4 weeks till we close!

I think it’s lots of babies peeing so high urea in the pool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to go back through this thread. There is something major wrong with this water. I am hoping we can fix it AND keep it from happening again.

Pool basics are:
-indoor
-heated
-not in area with easy access to tests or chemicals

Testing:
-Lab testing at $80=not sustainable as cost will limit how often it is done
-FAS DPD test only due to shipping rules (out of powder at this moment)

Last testing shows rapid loss of FC

At this point I am not sure the water is safe for the babies due to the lab test results (chloroform found in test results) and the rapid loss of FC. The presence of rashes on some of the teachers also points to this.

At this point my thought is it would be best to drain and refill the water. While this is happening find a good source of liquid chlorine/bleach (without extra stuff in it). I also think you need to find and install a UV system.

The reasoning behind my ideas is the SWGs are NOT keeping up with the demands as seen by the test results. What I think has happened is the "bad" stuff has built up over the time the pool has been open and filled with peeing babies. We need to find a way to keep ahead of the bad stuff once the water is balanced again.

The UV system and liquid chlorine each afternoon after the last swim lesson is over may be what is needed to over come what has been added to the pool during the day. What is being done now is not working so we need to step up the fight.

That is as solid a plan as I can think of with your limited resources.

Yes I think I would have to install UV and possibly ozone too. Again it’s not common here but couple of weeks ago some guys from Australia came to propose their system to us. Again they would have to ship it here and install it for us but if it breaks down they would have to fly in here to trouble shoot it.

I am in a swim instructors fb page and a few people had this high CC issue too and even with draining pool the problem came back within a month.

Its also beyond the scope of my pool mainatence company as they are used to doing only residential pools or Olympic sized pools. Mine is a small pool with high load and mostly babies. I would have to go thru 20 lbs of chlorine nightly just to drop CC to half!! In addition to 2 SWG running at full capacity !

Thanks everyone for your help here !

- - - Updated - - -

I did another lab test again last week and there’s no more coliform in the water.

The main reason for the UV system is to keep the problem from coming back once you get the water balanced like it should be. If things go great the UV will be enough. If not that is where the liquid chlorine will come in. Your pool service is not used to dealing with the amount of pee in a pool your size.

I've been following this thread even though I haven't posted. I wrote a post yesterday, but then deleted it.

Basically I said that I think UV is the way to go for your situation. That much bather waste in a pool that small, and it being indoor, is more than chlorine can handle.

I don't know what size UV system was proposed, but don't be tempted to go small on the system. Make sure you get one over sized for the pool you have because it's going to be handling a lot more waste than a normal use pool that size.

Ok I got 2 units of UV installed (Emaux brand from Australia- it’s the only one available here). My FAS DPD test kit arrived yesterday. There has been a chlorine smell at my pool last few days.

So yesterday FC was 2.5 and CC 2.0. Put in 3 kg 70% chlorine (supposed to bring shock level to 12). Today the FC was 5.5 and CC 1.5. All my instructors complaining of itchy skin and burning eyes. Can the 5.5 FC cause that ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.