Partial block troubles

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
Hi all,

Today the 3 massive oak trees surrounding my pool demanded payment. I have a partial block I believe to be in my suction side. The pool has a jacuzzi in one end. There is a valve to shut of the suction from either side. Switching that doesn't seem to change the flow. The basket attached to the Hayward super pump isn't filling all the way but there is flow at the returns, although it's weak. Flow out the waste vent is also weak.

I have tried plunging the skimmer with no improvement. I have tried using a blow bag in the various ends of the plumbing. I have some flow so that didn't help anything.

I'm stumped on what to do here and am looking for suggestions. Hoping this doesn't mean digging up pipes.

Not completely sure it's my suction side that's the problem and I'm wondering if the pump is having issues although looking into the discharge port shows no debris.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

The number one reason for a pump basket not filling up with water is an air leak at the pump lid/gasket. That would be the first place I would look.

The number two reason is a stuck weir door on the skimmer, which causes the skimmer to empty, drawing air into the pump.

If you do have a partial blockage between the skimmer and the pump, you can use a "Drain King" to force water back from the pump and into the skimmer. This will usually clear any material that may have gotten in the plumbing.

Another thing to look at is the filter.. If the filter is badly clogged, then the pump has no place to push the water.

What is your filter pressure?

When was the last time you lubed or inspected the pump gasket?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the comeback Jim. If you mean the motor basket gasket, that was checked and looks good. There is a minor leak on the output fitting of the pump but it seems too small to worry about, I could be wrong on that. The wier is working fine. I did use a drain king on the skimmer side and jacuzzi outlet and the pump inlet. I didn’t have flow on the pump inlet side at first but it seems open now.

Could the return side have a partial block that would limit the input flow at the pump? I have a pipe rigged at the jacuzzi outlet to show the flow but I don’t get flow there. Not sure if that means a block or a pressure limitation. The pipe is about 3 feet tall and when working gives a double stream going out a few feet.

Bruce

If you have a leak at the pump output fitting, you probably have a leak at the input fitting as well.

The leaks are usually caused by the water getting hot when the pump runs with no flow. The hot water warps the fittings and makes them leak.

While the pump is running, look closely at the fitting going into the pump and then have someone turn off the pump.

If there is a leak, you should be able to see it because there will be a little bit of back pressure when the pump shuts off.

Bruce,

When was the last time you broke your DE filter apart and cleaned it?? What is your normal filter pressure and what is the pressure with the recent problem?

If you have a multiport valve, you can bypassing the filter by putting the multiport valve in the recirculate position and see if the flow returns.

With the power off, I would also take the pump basket out and reach inside and see if the impeller is secure and that the area was not full of junk..

A couple of pics of your equipment pad would help use understand you set up better. Make sure to show the input and output valves..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Impeller blockage should be the 1st thing checked, especially if the pressure gauge is like 5 psi or something lower than normal, if the pressure is high, then filter is dirty, based on your description it sounds like impeller blockage.

If any part of the pump basket is broken or cracked to the slightest degree it will eventually allow debris to get past it to clog impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.