TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wanting to run at 30 ppm CYA in my spa, I was always annoyed the Taylor test only goes to 30 ppm minimum, and actually doesn't mix up enough fluid to quite reach even that. Recently, I ran out of DPD powder (I grabbed extra powder and 2 oz of test fluid when I bought the K2006, have plenty of unexpired fluid left), so I went to TFT to get some. While there, I looked around, and saw the TFT CYA test goes to 20 ppm, so I grabbed that.

Got that today. Was shocked at the size of the test reagent bottle. 8 oz! The Taylor kit had 1.5 oz. While the Taylor kit with the small tube probably uses 1/3 the reagent, that's still over twice as many tests and I can finally test up to 20. First test and I'm probably around 25ish, most definitely no less that 20. Needed to add FC so I topped up with dichlor. After I add 5-8 ppm CYA I'll test my CYA again.

Curious I haven't seen anyone recommended the TFT kit for spa users specifically for the extra low end testing ability on CYA, especially as spas run 20-30 ppm and burn it up quickly with the heat. I will start pointing that out myself to new members who need test kits.

Why do you need CYA in an indoor hot tub?

when it's all used up I know it's time to break out the Clorox

All Clorox bleach now contains Cloromax Technology which will create foaming. You should use another brand of plain bleach with no additives.

I use the pool math site to calculate the total amount of dichlor that yields 30ppm CYA in my spa. I set that amount aside and when it's all used up I know it's time to break out the Clorox
That's what I did the first time, before I learned on here that CYA can break down at a rate of 10-15 ppm for month in a spa. After my last fill, and carefully calculated and weighed dichlor addictions to get to 30 ppm over a week and a half or two weeks, I did the actual test. Only slightly foggy at 30 ppm.

I imagine that when I went 3 months with only the initial calulated fill of 30 ppm that my CYA was easily almost nothing by the time I drained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.