How to winterize sealed Niche LED light?

May 24, 2018
NB, Canada
Hi all,

MY first year with a pool, new install fibreglass. It has 2x PAL Lighting LED lights. There lights have a sealed niche with threaded sides. There is no open conduit from the light to the pool equipment. No water goes beyond the niche. Right now, I unscrewed the lights and have them hanging down into the water. My water level was drained about 2 inches below the light opening. Is it ok to simply leave as is? It`s my understanding that the lights themselves are fine to be frozen in the water and it won't damage them.

Should I be having them tied on top of the deck instead of having into the water? We can get 3-4 feet of snow accumulation where I live...

As for the niche, should it be left open as is - with only 1.5-2 inches below the opening, most likely that rainfall or melting snow will bring the water level above and possibly have water going into the niches. Will water freezing in the niche cause damage? Niche is about 7 inches long with an inside diameter of 2-2.5 inches.

I can also add pieces of pool noodles in the niche to absorb some freezing and reduce the amount of water that can fit in there - will that help?

Alternatively, a plastic water bottle could also fit in there to absorb freeze expansion.

I think I have everything else figured out, just not sure about the lights! Would hate to come back in the spring with cracked and leaking lights :O

Thanks!!

Jeff

Anything to absorb for ice expansion is a good thing. Regarding your LED lights, I would personally call the manufacturer or the pool builder to determine the correct process. If you can let them sit in the water and they will be fine when things freeze, why not keep them outside away from the water, possibly covered? Most of us have regular round lights and they are usually left alone, but it appears not in this case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.