High Back Pressure at Filter

May 27, 2013
Richland,Michigan
Okay, so I have yet to close my pool in Michigan. I'm hoping to in the next week or so.
I clean out the leaves today and turn on my sand filter and notice the pressue guage is at 22 normally at 15ish.
I tried to blow some air through the lines with my leaf blower with no luck,I don't think it was strong enough.

Anyhow everything looks normal. I take off the Directional inlet fitting and pressure drops to 12/13 put it back on and returns to 22 ?

If I turn skimmer off or main drain pressure stays around 20. I don't think I have a clogged line anywhere, just wondering what my next move should be ?

thx

Not sure JP. Where were the leaves you cleaned out? Just in the pool itself, or where there some in the pump area? Since you observed a drop in pressure by removing an inlet fitting, the tendency might be to focus on that pressure side. But I would probably step back a bit and start at the pump & filter. Make sure there are no obstructions in the pump at the impeller (power off/spins freely). Do you notice any pressure changes after a good backwash? Perhaps there is debris causing the whole system to show a high pressure? Have you done a Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter this year?

How does the water look? Any chance of algae building up inside? Some organic material is transparent depending on the growth stage, so you can't always rely on seeing green. Feel like posting a set of water results of us?

Just thinking of the easy stuff before you try to mess with plumbing.

Thanks for the replys, first off I'm not sure if the guage goes to zer when off. I thiink maybe a couple of pounds when pump is off. The pump has always been around
14-17 for the four years we been here. I will double check in the morniing.

I get quite a few leaves in the pool but always clean them out before runing the pump. I don't have a timer. I can check the filter and pump for any debris.
I did a normal backwash with no change in pressure. I have never done a deep cleaning of my sand filter, as far as I know. Will read up on that.

I'm trying to finish a exterior paint job on my house before the weather gets to cold here in Michigan. I can take a really good look at it in a few days.
Would like to fix before closing the pool for winter.

Thanks again for your thoughts
jp

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah the water is fine,I can post up some numbers but I've had really nice pool water thanks to "Troublefreepool"

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

So No, the gauge would always read 3-4 pounds. I cleaned te pool this morning and pressure was reading low at 11 lbs.
I put the inlet back on and it reads 15ish,after scrubbing the pool I check and its at 22 lbs.

I replaced the gauge with another one I have and it reads 13-14 lbs. The old gauge was water logged and appears to be my problem.

Thanks guys

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.