First timer at winterizing!

Oct 17, 2018
St. Louis
We have just moved and also have an in-ground pool in our backyard. A friend helped me drain the pool but we ran out of time to finish the rest. My next step is to blow the lines. I thought I'd post a photo of the plumbing so I can get some feedback from users making sure I blow out the correct lines.

From initial research, it looks like the pipes with the blue valves are getting water from the floor drain and skimmer.

Secondly, it looks like the other pipes connected to what appears to be a gray Jandy valve are the return pipes (filtered water heading to the pool).

If the purpose of blowing lines is to prevent plumbing from bursting from freezing water, do the suction lines and return lines both get blown?

Thanks!

Christian

Attachments

• IMG_20181017_182806705.jpg
    IMG_20181017_182806705.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 49
Hello Christian and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, you are correct on the function of those valves, and it would be best to blow out the air as best as you can from each side. In your note above you mentioned you drained the pool. Did you just lower it a bit or drain it completely? Because we don't advise a complete drain is why I ask just to be sure. Also, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. :wink:

Here are a couple links that may help you.
Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Hello Christian and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, you are correct on the function of those valves, and it would be best to blow out the air as best as you can from each side. In your note above you mentioned you drained the pool. Did you just lower it a bit or drain it completely? Because we don't advise a complete drain is why I ask just to be sure. Also, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. :wink:

Here are a couple links that may help you.
Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Yes, I drained the pool just below the return eyeballs; a friend with an in-ground pool helped me do that. He's got it easier than me, though - he's got above ground plumbing, haha!

Well, I successfully blew out the return lines. It was reduced to a fine mist and then I plugged it. I did the same to the skimmer line, but it only blew some bubbles, made the water rise a little, and it would settle back down when I took off the blower. Is the skimmer basket area supposed to be completely dry?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.