Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Yesterday, I replaced much of my equipment with all new stuff. Excited to have a variable speed pump and some automation!

But a problem with the gate valve on the return has resurfaced. It has had leaks in the recent past (only been in this house since May), but I was able to find a position where it didn't leak so I wasn't too concerned at the time. Now, it's pretty much a constant leak and I'm sucking lots of air into the pump. It looks like it comes apart easily enough- Does anybody have any idea if I could get parts to rebuild it at Home Depot or Lowes just by a picture (attached)?

Note to self to update signature for the new equipment. :)

B22F325C-7062-46BE-8D22-599C467ED2E1.jpg

sc

Yes, Home Depot or Lowes should carry what you need. Under the nut should be some packing or an O-ring that is supposed to keep the water from seeping around the adjustment rod.

You may just need to tighten the nut..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Or try one of my tried-n-true leak repair techniques:

- Cut the whole thing out and replace it with some new PVC adaptor fittings and a shiny new brass ball valve (NOT a PVC ball valve). I find ball valves superior. Easier to use (just a quarter turn), and see at a glance if it's open or closed. The jury is still out on longevity. I just don't like gate valves. I'm even replacing hose bibs with ball valves. They're just nicer to use. Or...

- Do nothing and wait it out. Depending on the severity of the leak, let the mineral build up plug the leak from the inside!! (I'm only half joking!) ;) You monkeying with the plumbing probably dislodged the minerals that were already doing that job!

Jim's suggestion of tightening the nut works for me most of the time, though it can impact the ease of turning the handle. Just tighten it a little at a time, and wait to see if the drips dry up before cranking it down more.

Thanks, guys... It couldn't be tightened anymore, so I took it apart. There were 2 o-rings that were basically petrified and flush to the surface; I broke these off (literally) and made a trip to Home Depot. I found a set of plumbing o-rings in about 16 different sizes and crossed my fingers that one would work. The one that seemed to be the right size made a difference, but it's still not what I'd call perfect. My guess is that this valve is original to the pool, which means approximately 30 years old so probably worn out. Replacement is probably going to be the best fix, but at least it's not blowing bubbles anymore!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.