Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pump run time

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pump run time

I did not close my pool this winter. I only blew out the deck jet lines.
    Other than the freeze protector kicking my pump on low at 34 degrees, is there any reason to run my pump any other time???? Chlorine production stops at around 50 degrees I think.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about pump run time

Once the water temp reaches 50 degrees (i think is the magic number) algae wont survive. So if your water is colder than that you should be ok.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks TizMe. I don't think my chlorinator works at 50 or below either.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Besides algae, there are other reasons to run a pump. I keep mine going for at least an hour a day (with cleaner) just to clear the dust and debris that normally fall in the water; it's a precaution, sure, but I'd rather keep up the maintenance than face a mucked-up pool in a few months. I also continue testing. Most important is pH and chlorine. Even with no SWG running & winter-time temps, the chlorine will take longer to dissipate... but it will still get used up. Test periodically and add liquid chlorine (bleach) with the pump running as needed. This is the lazy person's method of non-closing winter maintenance, but it's also safe. You're not just ignoring the pool.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks polyvue. That's kinda what I've been doing. This is the first year with my pool and my first winter. A lesson in progress
    Lynn