Oops! Nearly drained my pool empty. How low can I keep it for Michigan winter?

Trick

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Waterford, MI
So I drained the pool yesterday for winter and forgot. It's nearly completely empty, the main drain plumbing height is what kept about a foot of water in it.

My question is, how much water do I need to keep in the pool for winter? I'll probably put water up to that level and call it good.

For normal water exchanges (i.e. lowering the CYA or CH) we advise to not go lower than about 12-18 inches. But that recommendation is based on a quick-turn to refill. I don't think I'd leave it that low all winter simply for the stability underneath. If your water tables rises this time of year it might become an issue. Personally, I'd probably go at least halfway then let winter fill it back up a bit with snow & rain. Maybe locals in your area will have a second opinion.

Fill that pool back up as soon as you can. I would say the lowest to go is probably 12 inches from the top. The rain and snow sitting on the cover will sag the center of the cover and pull the poles inward and could collapse the pool.

I'm glad you said that, I was strongly considering going only halfway.

It's about halfway right now. Been filling sense 8am yesterday, but only have the faucet half open. Too scared I'll forget and overfill it if the faucet was on full!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.